Joint assets/savings

Options
13»

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks again for the warning. I think this case is pretty straightforward.
    The example given by age-uk happens to exactly match our circumstances for the 12-week property disregard, but we accept that longer term she should pay fees and I agree that this should be funded by her and not other tax payers. They've both had a lot of help (free care at home, hospital, free nursing care) for which we are grateful.
    A local authority must also provide the 12-week property disregardwhen one of the other statutory property disregards (listed above) unexpectedly ends because the qualifying relative has died or moved into a care home: An illustrative example
    is provided at Annex B:
    Win and Ern have been married for 60 years and broughta home
    together. 18 months ago, Win moved into a care home as a result of
    dementia. During her financial assessment, the value of the home she
    shared with Ern was disregarded as Ern is her husband, was over 60
    years old and still lived in the property. Ern has been in good health and there is no reason to anticipate a sudden change in circumstance. Unfortunately Ern suffers a heart attack and passes away, leaving the property to Win. There is no longer an eligible person living in the property, meaning its value can now be taken into account in what Win can afford to contribute to the cost of her care [the financial assessment].Given this was unplanned for, Win and her family need time to consider what the best option might be. The 12 week disregard would therefore be applied.
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/brandpartnerglobal/gloucestershirevpp/factsheets/care%20homes/treatment_of_property_in_the_means-test_for_permanent_care_home_provision_fcs.pdf
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Thanks again for the warning. I think this case is pretty straightforward.
    The example given by age-uk happens to exactly match our circumstances for the 12-week property disregard, but we accept that longer term she should pay fees and I agree that this should be funded by her and not other tax payers. They've both had a lot of help (free care at home, hospital, free nursing care) for which we are grateful.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/brandpartnerglobal/gloucestershirevpp/factsheets/care%20homes/treatment_of_property_in_the_means-test_for_permanent_care_home_provision_fcs.pdf
    It is worth remembering that NURSING care as opposed to social care is state funded and nobody can legitimately be asked to pay for it.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 10:38AM
    Options
    It is worth remembering that NURSING care as opposed to social care is state funded and nobody can legitimately be asked to pay for it.

She gets the £158.16 nursing care element paid, so I would expect the fees to be reduced by that amount.
    She will have to pay for her personal care after the 12-weeks.

I don't think CHC woud apply in her case as in clinical terms she's quite well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure