The Great 'Hidden UK Hostel Gems' Hunt

Options
2»

Comments

• belfastgirl1
    Options
    Downhill Hostel on NI's stunning Causeway Coast, as already mentioned, is beautiful inside and out. And the YHA's Whitepark Bay Hostel, which looks across the eponymous pristine beach, has an equally amazing view. Game of Thrones fans can stay at either and explore the series' local filming locations.
  • Knitaholic2
    Options
    Lots of lovely YHA hostels in amazing places, such as Black Sail (Lake District), Ravenstor (Derbyshire) and Malham (Yorkshire dales). However also lots of lovely hostels in places you wouldn't expect, such as Milton Keynes and Durham (Chad's College in the summer). - Not just a bargain but also unique and beautiful buildings, often lovely grounds and space to relax - so much better than B&Bs and boring chain hotels.
  • bigbullyweedave
    Options
    ivanidea wrote: »
    Always enjoyed staying at Carbisdale Castle in Scotland was probably the grandest hostel I stayed in.

I would totally agree. But it's closed down now, maybe for good :(
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbisdale_Castle

One of my fave UK hostels is the Old Inn at Carbost - amazing lochside setting, mad but fun guys running the pub and the Talisker distillery steps away :D
    http://www.theoldinnskye.co.uk/

Cheers, Mrs. BBWD
  • Dragonjnr
    Dragonjnr Posts: 29 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just come back from my first ever Youth Hostel stay, at the hostel in Wells-next-the-Sea. I'm a single traveller and stayed in a dorm room for two nights, sharing with two friends the first night, and a mum and daughter the second night.

The guy on the desk was really friendly and helpful, the hostel was clean and warm, and the kitchen was extremely well stocked. The TV room has a great selection of kids videos, books and games, and the water was hot and plentiful in the shower rooms.

I was a little unsettled on the first night, as the walls are quite thin and you can hear everyone popping to the loo in the night. I was much more settled on the second night, after I'd gotten more used to it.

For a cheap break near the seaside, I'd highly recommend this hostel.
  • Mynxmox
    Mynxmox Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I have decided to give it a go! Did a LOT of research as going by myself and don't drive; had to find public transport door to door. So, going to Newport in Pembrokeshire. Will let you know what it was like. Any tips about attractions although I will be doing a lot of walking in that beautiful natural area. :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My favourite hostels tend to be the primitive little ones, just the sort they keep closing. I've done over 200 of them, some of the best are:

Black Sail
    Barrow House (now independent)
    Wasdale Hall
    Eskdale
    St Briavels
    Coniston Coppermine
    Skiddaw House
    St Davids
    was better before the refurb, when the legs of the bunk beds stood in the cattle feeding troughs in the cowshed.
    Clun, an old watermill.
    Rowen is a magical setting with an aerial view of the Conwy valley below, a bit like Grinton.
    Tintagel is superb, perched on the clifftops.
    Perranporth isn't much to look at, but the setting is spectacular, and it has an interesting history as the top secret radio base that used to communicate with the submarines in the Atlantic during the war.
    Edmundbyers and Slaidburn are lovely old Inns.
    Eyam is a quaint Victorian folly, and the history of the Plague Village is both fascinating and moving.
    Telscombe is lovely, in a little hamlet up on the Downs.
    Tanners Hatch is just idyllic!!
    Youlgreave is the old village Co-op.
  • Mynxmox wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread I have decided to give it a go! Did a LOT of research as going by myself and don't drive; had to find public transport door to door. So, going to Newport in Pembrokeshire. Will let you know what it was like. Any tips about attractions although I will be doing a lot of walking in that beautiful natural area. :j

Newport is a nice little hostel, it's the old village school. There's excellent walking on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any good hostels en route to Portsmouth please?
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Any good hostels en route to Portsmouth please?

En route from where?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport