Wayleave Payments - Barlow & Sons

Options
Last week a company called Barlow & Sons approached me as I have a couple of electricity polls over my land. They have told me I should be entitled to something called a Wayleave payment from National Grid for siting electricity equipment on my land backdated 6 years and I could ask for a 15 year in advance lump sum or an annual payment. I could be getting a nice windfall.

Has anyone come across this company before - I have yet to sign - they charge no fees or costs.

Thoughts anyone?

http://www.barlowandsons.co.uk/homeowners/easement/
These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.

Comments

• LyndaS
    LyndaS Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Last week a company called Barlow & Sons approached me as I have a couple of electricity polls over my land. They have told me I should be entitled to something called a Wayleave payment from National Grid for siting electricity equipment on my land backdated 6 years and I could ask for a 15 year in advance lump sum or an annual payment. I could be getting a nice windfall.

Has anyone come across this company before - I have yet to sign - they charge no fees or costs.

Thoughts anyone?

My thoughts?

Why are they spending their time, money & effort doing this?
    Are they a registered charity or something???
  • LyndaS
    LyndaS Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Where does it say "they charge no fees or costs"?

All I see is an offer of a "Free no obligation review", a bit like PPI claim companies offer suckers who use them....
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do you know National grid own the poles? They are much more likely to be owned by the local distribution network operator. Why not contact NG or the DNO yourself?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Say "Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will look into it, goodbye"
    You should check whether they already have permission for the poles, they may well do.
    If not you may be entitled to some money, but do you really need to? If everyone did this our bills would go up.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-wayleaves-contact.html

£7 a pole, perhaps the fee might outweigh what you get?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Making a Claim with Barlow and Sons

Any claim you make with Barlow and Sons will take between 6 months and a year from the original signing of the documents up until you have the money in your account.
    During that time, Barlow and Sons will do a completely free survey of your entire property to ensure that no equipment is unaccounted for, past payments are paid to you and that a new fair payments amount is offered to you.

It is only once you receive full payment of the easement claim that Barlow and Sons fee of 20% becomes payable.
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    All that for just £1.40?

I'm in :D
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    Just read the small print - if you sign up for a one off payment the pole stays on your land forever but if you sign up for a yearly payment then you can ask them to remove it at a later date.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • Haybarn
    Haybarn Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I have also received communication from Barlow and Sons and the letter states:

'Please note that all money awarded is yours 100%. We do not charge you a fee or receive commission from the monies you receive. The Utility Company meets this on your behalf, for which you are not penalised.'

When I spoke to them regarding the 15 year payment they told me that you still could ask for the equipment to be removed but would have to pay the wayleave money back.

I presently get about £7 for a pole and about £8.50 for a pole and stay per year, Barlows tell me the rates should be £28 for a pole and £37 for a pole and stay per year. Quite a difference. The Electricity Utiity tell me that the rates I receive are what was agreed with the NFU and Country Landowners. What's the catch -if any?
  • JC_Derby
    JC_Derby Posts: 806 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The catch is Barlow and sons charge the distribution network operator a hefty fee for every way leave they get signed up. Obviously the more fees that barrows can get the better for them, but where do the DNO get that money from? Does it come fro the duos charges charged to each and every customer?probably
    Regarding costs per pole, they may well be quoting you the figure for poles today, not what it was 8 years ago.
    Also if you do turn round and terminate your way leave agreement, if the poles and electrical equipment are there to feed your property, you are in effect asking the DNO to remove your supply from site, how will you get your electric.
    Remember this way leave payment is your right the DNO should pay it anyway, there is nothing to stop you going directly to the DNO to ask for a payment r way leave payment for equipment on your land and coming to your own agreement. I suspect the DNO would prefer it. Barrows and company's akin are nothing more than ambulance chasers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure