Brilliant Energy - I switched before they went bust, but have not received a final bill

Options
cannugec5
cannugec5 Posts: 447 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
We switched to Eon, just a matter of days before we heard BE had gone. I had submitted my final reading and believed that they owe us in the region of £200. We were on a fixed tariff.

Eon has confirmed that they are our new supplier, and they have received the first direct debit.

What do I need to do, to go about getting the over-payment to BE back? I think if we had not switched SSE would have been paying us as they would be the new supplier, but we have fallen into the gap, having switched but with no final bill.

Any advice greatly received.

Comments

• Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 5 April 2019 at 5:41PM
    Options
    cannugec5 wrote: »
    We switched to Eon, just a matter of days before we heard BE had gone. I had submitted my final reading and believed that they owe us in the region of £200. We were on a fixed tariff.

Eon has confirmed that they are our new supplier, and they have received the first direct debit.

What do I need to do, to go about getting the over-payment to BE back? I think if we had not switched SSE would have been paying us as they would be the new supplier, but we have fallen into the gap, having switched but with no final bill.

Any advice greatly received.

I feel sure SSE, being one of the Big 6, will see you right. :)

Have a look at the MSE article that explains it all
    If you'd left Brilliant Energy prior to it stopping trading and are owed credit, this will also be honoured by SSE.
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 447 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Benight wrote: »

Thank you. I had seen an earlier article, but had missed the finer points of the latter one.

So SSE will be providing me with a refund, even though I am not their customer. That is good news. I am sure it will take a while, and I have no idea if it happens automatically or if I need to make a claim.
  • Donna5
    Options
    Can anyone help me please? I switched to Bulb before Brilliant went bust and was £300 in credit. I have been in touch with SSE and they have advised that they are only assisting customers who were customers of Brilliant when they went bust and referred me to the administrator.

The administrator say I may only get a portion of my credit back. Does anyone have any advice please?

thanks

Donna
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Donna5 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me please? I switched to Bulb before Brilliant went bust and was £300 in credit. I have been in touch with SSE and they have advised that they are only assisting customers who were customers of Brilliant when they went bust and referred me to the administrator.

The administrator say I may only get a portion of my credit back. Does anyone have any advice please?

thanks

Donna

If you'd left Brilliant Energy prior to it stopping trading and are owed credit, this will also be honoured by SSE.
  • Donna5
    Options
    I think someone needs to tell SSE that. They keep referring me to the administrator ����
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    Donna5 wrote: »
    I think someone needs to tell SSE that. They keep referring me to the administrator ����

They already know, as you should if you were a Brilliant Energy customer ;)
    What if my account was in credit or debt?

• We’re waiting for Brilliant Energy and Northumbria Energy to finalise your customer accounts up to 15 March and confirm the credit balance to us. This might take a few weeks, but please be reassured you’ll get your money back.
    • If you've already had a final bill and were in credit, we'll check to make sure it’s accurate and refund this to you as soon as we can.
    • If you were in debt with your old supplier, you won't need to pay back this debt to us, but you might still need to pay it back to your old supplier. Look out for your final bill from them.

https://sse.co.uk/your-new-supplier

Perhaps they've worked out you actually owe them money? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family