Simple TRV solution with thermostat other side of the room?

Options
buglawton
buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 14 April 2019 at 10:45AM in Energy
There's a room in my house thet gets too hot, even in cold weather if the sun is on large french windows and flat roof.

Reason is, the radiator has a modern TRV fitted. But its thermostat is built into the valve so the radiator is hunting for its localised temperature. Also not looking for a phone contrlled one where the thermostat is still in the TRV. What I'd like for this room is a thermostat in a suntrap part of the room controlling the radiator.

Can't find anything but expensive and complex hub based solutions online. Did see one TRV with a thermostat on a long wire but that's unacceptably messy. Any nice simple wireless solutions out there?

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could close down the radiator’s other valve so that it’s only open a bit, which would slow everything down and give the existing TRV time to adjust without hunting. Would mean that the room takes longer to warm up though..
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Options
    I'd go with the long wire, and find some creative way to hide it. Cordless things are inevitably unreliable, as there are now so many on the same frequency.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Options
    I was just thinking, someone should invent a TRV with an infrared sensor that measures the temperature of the rooms walls not that of the air inches from the rad itself.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depending on the pipe layout, you may be able to fix a conventional TRV further along the pipe away from the radiator.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 April 2019 at 5:11PM
    Options
    Would this sort of thing do it - TRV with remote sensor https://www.myson.co.uk/products/remote_sensor_heads.htm (other makes are avaiable). Unfortunately most of them seem to have capillary tube sensors, i cant find one with a remote electronic sensor

You can also get TRV head with electronic sensors like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Radiator-Thermostat-Programmable-Thermostatic-x/dp/B01N35O95F (as before other makes are avaiable).

There doesn't appear to be anything on the market which consists of just a wireless TRV and wireless thermostat, most of them seem to require a wifi hub or similar which starts to ramp up the costs
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport