Atom 2.0% or continue with an ISA

My ISA is just about to mature, with £50,000 in it. I've always re-invested it back into another ISA in the past (and can add another £20,000 from my Santander 123 bank a/c for this years allowance if I so wish). Should I carry on with an ISA, and continue using the allowance, or is it wise to ditch ISA's now and take advantage of Atoms 2.05%? I understand an ISA doesn't count towards your annual PSA.

As mentioned, I have the Sandander 123 a/c which I have always kept £20,000 in, to take advantage of the interest paid each month. But I'm thinking I should definitely ditch this, and take most of my money out of it, as Santander still charge a £5 a/c fee for it.

Decisions, decisions :doh:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tel

Comments

• Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    The Santander is headlined at 1.5%, but if you pay your monthly fee out of the interest then it drops to just over 1.2%, if you earn the monthly fee back out of the cashback on bills then you can consider it closer to the 1.5%.
    There are ISAs that will beat the 2.05%, but you're going to have to lock it for a four or five year term, so if you were thinking of that then you'd be comparing it against the 2.50% Atom account and not the 2.05%
    And yes, the interest earned on ISA does not get taxed and isn't counted in your PSA. This £50k at 2.05% is going to earn you £1,025 per year, so that alone will mean you're paying 20% tax on that £25 and any other savings interest you have (assuming you're a basic rate taxpayer), so pulling it all out of the ISA wrapper is gong to cost you a little bit in tax until you start funnelling it back into ISAs.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • Do you need so much in cash? You could consider a S&S ISA.
  • tel_
    tel_ Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for your reply Paul_DNAP. I am now thinking it might be best for me to stick with an ISA, exactly for the PSA reason.

I have never considered a Socks & Shares ISA chockydavid. Now you've mentioned it, I will do some reading on this site about them, as my knowledge on S&S is non-existent.
  • PSA isn't a tax free allowance but s 0% rate band so depending on your own circumstances you could have extra tax to pay because of your savings interest even if the interest itself is taxed at 0%.

And are you sure you are able to use the PSA? It is only of benefit above the £5,000 starter savings rate so some lower income individuals cannot make use of the PSA even if they £1,000 of taxable interest.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    tel_ wrote: »
    I have never considered a Socks & Shares ISA
    Make a start, get your foot in the door! In-vest carefully, you don't want to lose your shirt.... ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Make a start, get your foot in the door! In-vest carefully, you don't want to lose your shirt.... ;)

Choose a fund like Vanguard Lifestrategy with a mix of bonds and stocks.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,872 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Choose a fund like Vanguard Lifestrategy with a mix of bonds and stocks.

A choice of mixes: could go all-in on 100% stock if you’re in it for the longer haul!! They do look a good low cost S&S ISA option; my kids (early 20’s) have opened one each, which I will help fund for a short while to try to kick-start some longer term savings for them.
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • tel_
    tel_ Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have just looked at the Vanguard Lifestrategy website, and it could be something I'm interested in. Which other 'all-in-one' funds should I look at that are similar to Vanguard's?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    eskbanker wrote: »

Dip your toe in the water, but don't get cold feet when the market drops;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure