Car insurance doubled at 25

Options
Hi,
I am looking to downsize car as my circumstances have changed and every insurance quote I get is through the roof!

Am currently driving a 59 plate 3 series BMW (please don’t judge, I drive nicely) fully comp insurance premium for the year: £660ish

Got my eye on: 56 plate 1.4 auto VW Polo quotes so far in the region of £700-900 and beyond!
I am 25 years old with a full, clean licence, which I’ve held for over 8 years, no claims or convictions. 5 years NCD. I owned a Polo when I was 17yo it was around £700 a year fully comp. I’ve tried all the obvious tweaks with the comparison/insurance websites: adding removing named drivers etc to no avail. Still receiving ridiculous quotes.

My questions are: why am I receiving quotes at the same price and higher on the same model car as when I was 17? Why is it cheaper for me to be insured on a bmw than a polo?! Aren’t insurance premiums supposed to be cheaper for 25yo with squeaky clean driving record? Has this happened to anyone else?

To put it in perspective a friend of mine pays £350 for the year on a (albeit slightly newer model) 1.4 polo. We are the same age, he hasn’t been driving for as long as me. My gf (with whom I share an address) drives my old polo and pays £400 for the year. Am I doing something wrong on these comparison sites lol!

I’ve also got quotes for clios, corsas etc cheap to run low maintenance cars still in the region of £700-900 for the year

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Rant over for now :D

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How is a Corsa or Polo low maintenance? Cheap to run compared to what?

Its easy, those cars for your age and your postcode equals a higher risk.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• GreenBadgeCon
    Options
    Lower maintenance than the BMW I’m driving.
    Cheaper to run than the BMW.

Friends same age with same(ish) car in same postcode with way cheaper insurance = a conundrum I can’t get my head around
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    When I passed my test (at 26) I looked at cars between £1500-2500.

It almost went pound for pound on the more expensive the car, the cheaper the insurance. So I obviously spent more on the car and less on the insurance.

A polo is probably quite likely to be driven by boy racers (who are in your age range) where as a 3 series is probably more likely to be driven by someone a little bit older and less likely to rag it as it costs a lot more.

There is more to it than just your age.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Insurance pricing isn't just based on you, it's based on that particular insurers claims statistics IE maybe they had a lot of claims with people of your age with that make and model car in your postcode.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure