Car Insurance Pay Out (sit tight its a long read)

Options
Back in February this year I was involved in RTA that wasn’t my fault, I was rear ended and the driver of the other vehicle accepted fault immediately, however due to my injuries and being huckled away in an ambulance, I was unable to retrieve the third parties details.

When I contacted my insurer, Eldon insurance, they told me that because I didn’t have the other drivers details, they would have to start a claim using my policy and when they received the police report from the accident they would then chase up the remaining money from the third-party insurance.

Following this I was told I would be awarded full payout of the value of the vehicle that was listsd on the policy l, as it was a write off, of £1250.

However they deducted the excess of £550 plus the outstanding balance of the policy totalling £312, meaning I only received a cheque for £388. On top off that I had to pay £300 to retrieve my car from the recovery yard as my insurance claimed their “inspectors” don’t do that.

As I have a personally injury claim underway, my Lawyer informed me that the police report had been released and he would proceed to speak the third party insurers, he then informed me they were accepting full liability. I thought “great I’ll get the rest of the £1250 plus the release fee back”

I contacted my insurance explained that I was aware that the police report had been made available (which they confirmed on the phone) and when would I expect to recieve the remaining sum of monies owed. I was then told by the gentleman on the phone that my Personal Injury Lawyer would be dealing with that. I spoke to my Lawyer and he said that, at best, he would be dealing with the fee from the recovery yard.

I spoke with a couple of friends and colleagues and they all had the same feeling/answer that this was wrong, my insurance deals with the claim of money for the car and the lawyer deals with injuries only.

Is this correct?

It’s also worth noting I lost my job because I was injured with torn ligaments in my back across 4 vertebrae caused in the accident and have no vehicle to travel the 53 mile each way commute.

Where do I stand and how can I move forward, as funds are getting low.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would have expected him to be claiming your uninsured losses.

You paid £300 to the compound? So the payout deducted an amount for you to keep the car?

If your insurer wrote it off and settled its their car not yours.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    The injury lawyer should be reclaiming your uninsured losses, which include your injury compensation, your excess, and any loss of earnings you can prove are a result of the accident.

He sounds like he's needs some extra training to be honest.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    Options
    I think you may have misunderstood what you have been told.

If your Car Insurance does not include legal expenses to pursue uninsured losses, then it is up you to pursue.

It appears you have instructed a Personal Injury Solicitors to claim for injury related losses and they have said they will also help with the car recovery fee. But the Solicitors perhaps don't deal with requesting your excess from the third party Insurers. As the third party Insurers have accepted fault, then it should just be a case that you contact them with evidence you paid the excess and they then send you a cheque.

In regard to the £312 balance of the remaining premium, speak to your Insurers Eldon about this. If you have the car back, you might be able to continue Insurance until renewal. Or if it you want to cover another car, then use the premium towards Insuring another car until renewal.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure