DCA Offered to remove default. Urgent advice needed

Options
Hi all.

I've been in conversation with Opos Ltd regarding a £1000+ default balance for a £100 loan I took when young and silly. I've avoided it for years but now older and somewhat wiser I'm trying to apply for a mortgage and the default was holding me back.

Opos have offered to completely remove the default once payment is made, and I have this in writing to that effect to take to my potential mortgage lender.

My question is: once paid and Opos have sent their change to the CRA (they report to call credit) is there a way to get the file updated sooner? I have a house under offer and absolutely must get a mortgage secured as soon as possible. I'm aware of the bad credit mortgage companies but these are not within budget and we've settled with a building society who do much more manual checks than the big lenders.

Can anyone help? Can I contact callctrlredit and ask it to be updated sooner?

Thanks!

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Not sure how getting the default removed will satisfy your lender, they will be fully aware of the default and getting it removed may not affect their decision making, however 1 default shouldn't preclude you from high street rates
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi all.

I've been in conversation with Opos Ltd regarding a £1000+ default balance for a £100 loan I took when young and silly. I've avoided it for years but now older and somewhat wiser I'm trying to apply for a mortgage and the default was holding me back.

Opos have offered to completely remove the default once payment is made, and I have this in writing to that effect to take to my potential mortgage lender.

My question is: once paid and Opos have sent their change to the CRA (they report to call credit) is there a way to get the file updated sooner? I have a house under offer and absolutely must get a mortgage secured as soon as possible. I'm aware of the bad credit mortgage companies but these are not within budget and we've settled with a building society who do much more manual checks than the big lenders.

Can anyone help? Can I contact callctrlredit and ask it to be updated sooner?

Thanks!

You are unable to rush CallCredit to update their records. Once the new monthly data has been uploaded to them by the lender, it will be processed and visible on your file within a few days.

If the default is accurate, the lender should not be using its removal as an incentive to clear the debt. In fact, in terms of industry practice, removal should only be performed where the default was reported in error. Even if you have it in writing, be warned that the lender could still change their mind and since it is an accurate reflection of your account history, the CRAs would not accept any dispute for it.

As for your lender, if they have already performed a credit check on you, normally they will use the data received at that time, as multiple hard searches are not common practice, since the information they need is delivered to them first time round.

You could explain the situation to them, however, if you admit it was removed as an incentive to clear the debt (rather than it being a clerical error) you are going to look worse in my opinion, as it gives the impression that you require negotiation or incentives to clear your debts, as opposed to making your repayments as agreed. However, this is my opinion and will depend on the creditor solely.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 June 2018 at 6:05PM
    Options
    Hi Darkglobe87,

A creditor should only remove incorrect information, so if the default is correct it shouldn't be removed. However, if they have agreed to do this, in writing, then you could raise a complaint with them if they fail to update the credit file - however - this all takes time and complaints are subjective (as stated above).

If your mortgage lender has already agreed a mortgage in principle, with the default showing then having it removed shouldn't make any difference. However, the other issue you may have is that although this creditor updates Call Credit, the mortgage lender they may check Experian or Equifax. And the information held on the credit files can differ slightly.

Most credit files are updated within the month and if you need it doing sooner you would need to contact Call Credit to see if this is an option, but please be aware that there doesn't appear to be anything stating this on their website.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 June 2018 at 10:07AM
    Options
    The answer is No in other words.

The system updates monthly, you cannot alter that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    The "CRAS only update files once per month" is a bit of a misunderstanding, based on the fact that most lenders send scheduled monthly updates so it will require that to be done and processed at the CRA end before changes in the intervening period to show.

However, even for a normal manual update being sent, changes won't necessarily show immediately depending on how quickly the CRA processes with respect to QA checks etc.

There is (or was) a rapid update mechanism operated by the CRAs explained by the ICO thusly...
    CRA Rapid updates and P4

It is our understanding that all three main CRAs offer a rapid update facility.

The facility is, as described on the Experian website, "..a manual overnight update intended only for correcting significant errors that might, for example, prevent someone getting a loan. It is like a triage system in A&E to make sure the most serious cases are dealt with quickly.”

We do not interpret the ability to provide a rapid update in certain circumstances as a general obligation (under the “where necessary, kept up to date” provision) to provide one upon request, as long as the data controller has a reasonable updating procedure already in place, which we understand the main CRAs have at present.

Internal line only - However, there may be individual examples where a rapid update is warranted and any refusal to do so when asked may be a breach of the fourth principle.

where I would very much think the use of such would be inappropriate in this case.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure