Financially linked to ex

Options
Hello,

I have split with my partner and we had a joint mortgage (but no other financial products).

He has now been removed from the mortgage, but how to I break any financial association with him? Or is this automatic now we don't share a mortgage? Do I need to make sure he's not registered on the electoral role?

I'd like to make sure his activity has no bearing on my credit report.

Many thanks,
Amy

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    You need to file a notice of disassociation with each of the 3 credit reference agencies.

Experian form here as an example - http://www.experian.co.uk/contactforms/consumer_onlinedisassociation.html

In terms of the electoral roll - him being on it won't affect your ability to get credit, but obviously remove him anyway. You should have had the annual canvas form round in the last few weeks (or very soon), you can amend that to show who is living at the house now.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Most the time it should happen automatically but occasionally it falls through the cracks.

A notice of disassociation needs to be filed, Call Credit and Experian make this easy to do. I was looking for the Equifax one myself the other day and whilst I found a couple of links "to it" they all went to a dead page
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    My understanding is the association would stay on indefinitely unless you specifically request a disassociation (or at least for 6years after the joint accounts were settled).

The equifax one does seem to be a pain now, I think if you sign up for their service you can do it through the online my account section. However if you don't want to sign up to a service with them you could write to them with the relevant info (which is going to be basically the same info as on the experian file).
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    Just done this myself following Transfer of equity. As long as the Mortgage company have updated the credit report since then, its quite a simple process to log - Experian can be done on line..

This will have the association removed - but any recent searches they have had will still show ~ In my case the Ex had renewed her Car Insurance, so it showed as part of the address history..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure