Dismissed on the grounds of redundancy

Options

Comments

• sadders
    sadders Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    But the OP doesn't have an ET decision to appeal against yet, do they? If they appeal against the trust's HR decision (and the trust ignores the points of law made above) they'd still have to decide to go to an ET. In my experience NHS trusts fight battles about suitable alternative employment quite doggedly. They've got quite reliable job evaluation systems and stand to save a lot of money.

OP - I first met my podiatrist at an NHS clinic, but he also had a private practice. He's also been a head of department in the NHS. The last time I saw him he had left the NHS entirely and only worked privately. He told me he only relaised how unhappy he was working in the NHS after he left.

Have you considered this? (BTW I guess he's in his mid to late 40s).

OP - I sympathise very much with your position. I was in a similar one six years ago but I was fortunate enough to get a good package as my trust could not find me a suitable alternative. (I think they were keen to see the back of me!).

Are you in a position where you have burnt your bridges and can't go back? Can you say to your trust "I'd like to reconsider my refusal of the alternative job you offered me. Can you allow me to do so?"

The reasons I say this are: (1) The NHS basically re-trained me when I was 50 (and the experience was difficult but also enjoyable) and (2) six years ago I would have accepted a job at a lower band to keep the pension contributions going a bit longer. I would add though, I was not in a clinical role.

Current situation is that I have rejected the SAE so have been formally 'dismissed'. I have requested to not serve my full notice so leave next month. Bridges burned. I have accepted a (lower band) job elsewhere. As I have verbally accepted that I will honour it. It leaves me with half a day free where I will start a private practice and hopefully eventually move away from the NHS.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 January 2018 at 10:45PM
    Options
    OP try look at the positive and move on. Everything happens for a reason. There will be a silver lining somewhere, you just might not see it yet! Look forward to the future, start a new page and do your best with your new position. :)

Redundancy especially when you enjoy the role and team, is a hard one to swallow. I know having faced redundancy at a job I enjoyed (and was well paid) a few years back! But over 2 years down the line, I am on a much better salary and bonus scheme, working with another great bunch of people!

It will all come together for you. ;)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sadders wrote: »
    Current situation is that I have rejected the SAE so have been formally 'dismissed'. I have requested to not serve my full notice so leave next month. Bridges burned. I have accepted a (lower band) job elsewhere. As I have verbally accepted that I will honour it. It leaves me with half a day free where I will start a private practice and hopefully eventually move away from the NHS.
    Is that the best move?

benefits of NHS employment as much more than pay - which in itself isn't bad anyway.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    workers have too many rights, this is why public sector just becomes more and more costly. Because they can't let anyone go, threat of tribunal, refusal to leave and demanding a role elsewhere etc.

It's no wonder the gig economy is booming, because employers have far too much red tape.

I'm guessing OP is in the public sector, utterly dysfunctional and unproductive. So many hangers on
  • Comms69
    Options
    workers have too many rights, this is why public sector just becomes more and more costly. Because they can't let anyone go, threat of tribunal, refusal to leave and demanding a role elsewhere etc. - It's basic supply and demand. There isn't enough staff, you cant force people to become nurses or doctors. And if you make it uncomfortable they'll leave!

It's no wonder the gig economy is booming, because employers have far too much red tape. - the 'gig' economy is far from booming. It's the lowest of the low, beyond zero hours contracts!

I'm guessing OP is in the public sector, utterly dysfunctional and unproductive. So many hangers on

What a strange outlook
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Is that the best move?

benefits of NHS employment as much more than pay - which in itself isn't bad anyway.

Op may have missed the best move already - but that depends on the difference between their protected pay in the "suitable alternative" and what their new job is offering. BTW most NHS staff in redundancy situations that I knew were terrified of turning down SAE because they were afraid of losing redundancy payments.

I'm a great advocate of the benefits of being employed by the NHS, but there's no harm in looking at building up a private practice - lots of allied health professionals in the NHS do so - but I don't know what their success rate is(!). Op - you need to find out!

If you end up considering leaving the NHS you need to be sure of your "market". For example, over the last 30 years I have probably spent hundreds if not thousands of pounds on private physio and podiatry services (back problems, hip problems ,knee and foot problems). I did this because I had to wait six to 12 weeks for NHS physio sessions and a ridiculous time for podiatry.

In the last three years, however, my GP has referred me twice to NHS physio (back and frozen shoulder). On each occasion the local NHS provider has 'phoned me the day after the referral to arrange an appointment the following week - and at my GP's surgery! I won't be paying privately for physio again!

But visiting my private podiatrist sorted out my (bio-mechanical) hip, knee and foot problems.

OP - I think attempting to build up a private practice is a good idea, but don't leave the NHS until you think you are secure.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Op may have missed the best move already - but that depends on the difference between their protected pay in the "suitable alternative" and what their new job is offering. BTW most NHS staff in redundancy situations that I knew were terrified of turning down SAE because they were afraid of losing redundancy payments.

I'm a great advocate of the benefits of being employed by the NHS, but there's no harm in looking at building up a private practice - lots of allied health professionals in the NHS do so - but I don't know what their success rate is(!). Op - you need to find out!

If you end up considering leaving the NHS you need to be sure of your "market". For example, over the last 30 years I have probably spent hundreds if not thousands of pounds on private physio and podiatry services (back problems, hip problems ,knee and foot problems). I did this because I had to wait six to 12 weeks for NHS physio sessions and a ridiculous time for podiatry.

In the last three years, however, my GP has referred me twice to NHS physio (back and frozen shoulder). On each occasion the local NHS provider has 'phoned me the day after the referral to arrange an appointment the following week - and at my GP's surgery! I won't be paying privately for physio again!

But visiting my private podiatrist sorted out my (bio-mechanical) hip, knee and foot problems.

OP - I think attempting to build up a private practice is a good idea, but don't leave the NHS until you think you are secure.
    It's possible the NHS would commission the Op to provide the service in the community (much like GPs are) but I agree with you on the whole.

I will just add im in a redundancy position now and fully agree regarding any SAE that comes up - though nothing been offered yet, with 7 weeks to go.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    What a strange outlook

Learn to use forums. Do not add your comments inside quotes.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    workers have too many rights, this is why public sector just becomes more and more costly. Because they can't let anyone go, threat of tribunal, refusal to leave and demanding a role elsewhere etc. Eh! My trust won most of their ET cases. And I know people (like the OP) who lost their redundancy payout for refusing SAE.

It's no wonder the gig economy is booming, because employers have far too much red tape. That makes no sense at all. Can you elaborate on your thought processes...?

I'm guessing OP is in the public sector, utterly dysfunctional and unproductive. I'm guessing then that you make no use of public services - like the NHS? Do you know what the cost would be privately? Assuming the medical staff hadn't been trained by the NHS? So many hangers on

Sorry - missed this post!
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Learn to use forums. Do not add your comments inside quotes.

Seemingly I've made the same "forum" mistake!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure