Hedge trimmers- petrol/corded/cordless

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I would go for the battery variety. You need to go to your supplier and try them out - literally hold them up at shoulder level (or however high your hedge is), and move them backwards and forwards as if trimming the hedge - and see how long you can do it for. That'll help you to decide quicker than anything else.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have an older but similar Bosch corded model (I certainly recall its 700W). It cuts through my hedges like butter - I can highly recommend it. I had previously used a Black & Decker and Flymo models, which just couldn't hack it. I've cut the cable a couple of times, but no problem as I have a very long extension cable anyway. I doubt a battery model could run long enough for me to do my garden - but would be very handy when doing a quick tidy up on the front hedge (fnar fnar).
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    I have an electric hedge trimmer, 650W motor, it's taken a real battering and keeps coming back for more....... Bought it from Aldi 6 years ago, cost me about £35.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ic wrote: »
    I have an older but similar Bosch corded model (I certainly recall its 700W). It cuts through my hedges like butter - I can highly recommend it. I had previously used a Black & Decker and Flymo models, which just couldn't hack it. I've cut the cable a couple of times, but no problem as I have a very long extension cable anyway. I doubt a battery model could run long enough for me to do my garden - but would be very handy when doing a quick tidy up on the front hedge (fnar fnar).
    This is my experience using a Bosch corded trimmer and comparing it with junk like B&D. I've also cut through the cord a few times, but it's possible to replace cable quite easily, and safety's not an issue if people are sensible enough to take precautions for that eventuality if using the mains.

I've also used a Stihl 2 stroke hedge cutter, finding it slightly heavy for prolonged use as a small (and older) guy! I would pick the Bosch for a long hedge.

The only experience I have with battery garden tools is with my Stihl chain saw, which I'm very pleased with, but that has a 6amp/hr battery and doesn't get used continuously like a hedge trimmer.

As to wearing goggles and a helmet, it's often a toss up between protection and losing sensory awareness. The visor on the helmet is good, but I wear glasses anyway, so I prefer to go without.
  • poppy_w
    poppy_w Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    This is my experience using a Bosch corded trimmer and comparing it with junk like B&D. I've also cut through the cord a few times, but it's possible to replace cable quite easily, and safety's not an issue if people are sensible enough to take precautions for that eventuality if using the mains.

I've also used a Stihl 2 stroke hedge cutter, finding it slightly heavy for prolonged use as a small (and older) guy! I would pick the Bosch for a long hedge.

Thanks, would you say there is a big difference in how easily the petrol and the electric cutters get through a hedge?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    poppy_w wrote: »
    Thanks, would you say there is a big difference in how easily the petrol and the electric cutters get through a hedge?
    Not a huge one, so far as I recall. I only borrowed the Stihl machine for a short while to tackle some leylandii. Our neighbour had it handy at the time and offered it.

The Bosch I use mostly on a 100m elm hedge, which is attended-to once a year, and it copes very well. I also use a cheap Aldi long reach for the top of that hedge, and once again it does a good enough job considering the price: £60
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppy_w wrote: »
    Re: the weights, the Bosch AHS 65-34 corded is 3.8 kilos, the Stihl HSA 56 cordless is 3.7 kg with the battery and the Stihl HS 45 petrol is 5kg.

Thanks, which Stihl do you have? Do you wear protective equipment? The shop I spoke to said I should get a forestry helmet with a visor as well, not sure if that's not overkill.

Is it difficult to start? I have not been able to start someone's petrol lawnmower once, so it worries me that I might not be able to start it.

I have a HS 45.

I do not use safety equipment when using this, though I do use stuff when using the chainsaw. If you are worried just get a set of safety glasses (goggles are equally overkill).

Starting a Stihl is easy. Push the bleed bubble a few times, turn the choke on, pull the cord until it turns over (3-5 times normally), turn off the choke and pull the cord one more time and it should fire into life!

Regards
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    Options
    My wife does most of our hedge work. She uses a Makita cordless trimmer which she likes for its good balance and light weight. For tall stuff she has a corded pole mounted trimmer. It has the motor at the bottom of the pole, not on the head. Again, the balance is better and it's less tiring to use. For obstinate thick stuff she uses a corded pole pruner (mini chainsaw on a stick). PPE normally extends to gloves and safety specs for the trimmers or a full forestry helmet for the pole pruner.

We try and use all electric tools at home as much as possible (including chainsaws) because of the much reduced noise levels.

trimmer5.jpg
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    I got a cordless (all be it cheap) one from Amazon and it was a total joke, the reciprocating rate of the blades was glacially slow. Sent it straight back.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    Options
    I do this for a living and would suggest the corded Bosch will be fine for you. I'm not a fan of stihl tools...there are brands that run smoother, lower vibes and more durable.

Also, get a hop up platform. You're far better getting the hedge below shoulder height when cutting.

Get the tops of the hedge cut back into a coffin profile and it's much easier in future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure