IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Collection proceedings for Italian speeding fine

Options
We've just received a notice of collection proceedings from Waters & Gate for a speeding fine incurred in Italy in June 2018, I paid the fines (two of them) in January and February 2019 when I received the notice as well as a fee to the car hire company for admin charges. Does anyone know if this can be enforced, I've contacted the company but they want a copy of the original fine notice which I don't have - see latest email:

"Unfortunately without the copy of the original fine notice.

We cannot confirm that it was for the same infringement.

Please try to get this information as without this we are unable to do anything and the balance still must be paid."

any advice appreciated

Comments

• angryelephant
    Options
    I've had 4 fines from Italy for driving in a restricted zone and decided not to pay any. The car hire company charged my credit card for admin charge which was I think €50 each.
    They kept sending me letters with threats directly then through some debt collection companies but eventually gave up. It was I think about 7 years ago...
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This is a forum dealing with private parking charges in the UK. We know nothing about speeding fines accrued in Italy, sorry.

Try the general 'Motoring' forum on MSE.

But Waters and Gates are debt collectors and cannot start any legal proceedings. General forum advice is to ignore debt collectors.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Louise_Anderson
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I too have been contacted by Waters and Gate saying I haven’t paid a speeding fine. Even though I had paid the fine and the admin charge to the car rental company. I no longer have the original fine as it was paid back in March. Just wondered if you had any resolution. They are asking for £600!!!
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    when you say you've contacted the company is that Waters & Gate or the Car Hire Company?

Who did you pay first time round - the Car Hire company?

If so they should have a record of it, also ask them why they haven't contacted you rather than the 3rd party...
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ignore W&G, they can’t do anything other than send you letters.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    I think that Waters and Gates conduct should be brought to the attention of Trading Standards and your MP.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Louise_Anderson
    Options
    I paid the Italian police by bank transfer.
  • Preet22
    Options
    We have been contacted by Watergate with over £600 for a speeding ticket on Italy. We had 2 fines from Italy. Received 2 letter within 3 months for 2 fines.1st fine was paid after doing bit of research on whether the fine was genuine and the letter had instructions to check your offence online. We could not trace fine details online nor did the domain work hence we sent an email to the guessed local authority from letter asking for a phone number to be contacted or any department details as their letter didnt seem genuin. They didnt provide any contact details but demanded bank transfer. We offer credit card payments or online to keep receipt of payment but they refused which made us for suspicious so requested for contact details of a local authority again where we could confirm our offence within certain time period otherwise fine will not be paid or assumed written off or invalid. NO response received. We still chased Italia authority a month after, no response.

16months later we have Watergate debt collection company chasing us for fine. We have informed them of not getting response from italian authority after chasing twice. Debt agency wouldn't listen and threatening for court action. We have evidence of communication via email and no further notice from italian authority for this long period. It would automatically assumed that italian authority disnt want to proceed with the fine if they didnt respond to our query for 16months. It's stupid to just hire a debt collection agency rather than communicating with us first. Anyone k how how to challenge NO response from Italian authority for 16months?
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    Debt agency wouldn't listen and threatening for court action.

where , back in italy?

uk debt collectors CANNOT start a court claim in the UK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family