UK Benefits: What benefits I can apply for my mother?

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Socajam wrote: »
    So let me get this right.
    Your mother came to live with you in the UK because of your father's death at age 65.
    She has never made any contributions whatsoever to the UK and now all those who have paid should support your mother.
    Yes, you are paying taxes, but those are for your old age.
    This is why people are !!!!ed off with the system because of this situation.
    Yes, I can be sympathetic, but not that sympathetic that someone who have not paid one penny in UK contributions should be given other people's tax money.
    It's your responsibility to look after your mother, not the British taxpayers.

Where does it say anyone thinks the tax payer should support the mother?
    The Op only asked for information and did not state any expectation or entitlement.

The purpose of these forums are for people to get information.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Would she pass the habitual residency test, and is there anything mentioned in her visa regarding recourse to public funds?

@Aarnav

We need the answer to this question.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 November 2019 at 7:29AM
    Options
    WhenIam64 wrote: »
    @Aarnav

We need the answer to this question.

From what I understand of the op the mum is here as a family member of an EU citizen, no visa needed, just a resident permit,and should be entitled to benefits IF a qualifying person. As she's not a job seeker that would mean not.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 November 2019 at 8:10AM
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    From what I understand of the op the mum is here as a family member of an EU citizen, no visa needed, just a resident permit,and should be entitled to benefits IF a qualifying person. As she's not a job seeker that would mean not.
    Hadn’t thought of that, dependant parent of EEA national. However OP refers to a 5 year visa which therefore may include restrictions.
    If eligible for benefits may be able to claim Universal Credit (if she looks for work or is found to have Limited Capability for Work) if below State Pension age or Pension Credit if over.
    OP, this is a very complicated area of law, if possible seek advice from an advice agency or law centre taking your mother’s passport and any other papers.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I would suggest the OP arrange an appointment with Citizens Advice. From the information provided I think it unlikely that her mother would have any entitlement to benefit but a face to face meeting will make it easier to provide all required information.
  • Davy_Jones_II
    Options
    Until you provide some answers it’s very hard to give a definite answer, but it’s likely that she’s going to need to live with you and that you and your partner will have to fully support her.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Where does it say anyone thinks the tax payer should support the mother?
    The Op only asked for information and did not state any expectation or entitlement.

The title of the thread may suggest there is an element of benefit expectation.

"UK Benefits: What benefits I can apply for my mother?"
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    The title of the thread may suggest there is an element of benefit expectation.

"UK Benefits: What benefits I can apply for my mother?"

I don't see how the OP could have worded it differently other than "Can my mother get benefits?" or "Is my mother entitled to any benefits".

Picking at the phrasing to imply expectation is putting words in the OPs mouth that aren't there IMO. If we all picked at the way others phrase things ( or spell them!) on here that's all we would do in a day!

He asked for advice, not a lecture on the rights and wrongs of the provision of benefits ( or not) to migrants.

The relevant advice has been given.
  • brewthebear
    Options
    Can I ask why you wanted to bring her to uk with no means of support except from yourself and now a few months down the line you are asking if she can get benefits.
    Does that sound fair to you ? No contributions made whats so ever. No not harsh just true facts.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Purbeck wrote: »
    I don't see how the OP could have worded it differently other than "Can my mother get benefits?" or "Is my mother entitled to any .

Two points.

What would a reasonable person draw from the question put by the op?

Secondly I didn't direct a comment to the op therefore I'm unclear what your on about re the op's post and my response to another individual.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport