Overseas elector

Options
I have been overseas for a few years but have not bothered to vote due to the hassle of doing this at distance. Now I am thinking of going on the electoral roll as an overseas elector, but will this negatively impact my credit score by showing I am abroad for some time? At the moment my credit score is good.

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 9 November 2019 at 6:11PM
    Options
    So are you currently on the ER at a UK address?
    You have already confirmed in your other thread that you are not tax resident in the UK. By changing your ER address to an overseas address you will be confirming your overseas residency to anybody that you apply to for credit and therefore your ineligibility for credit products which are normally only offered to UK residents.

Your credit score is a meaningless marketing tool used by the CRA's which is not seen by lenders and is therefore of no consequence.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you no longer a uk resident?

Why would you believe you can participate in voting etc. when you no longer live here?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Are you no longer a uk resident?

Why would you believe you can participate in voting etc. when you no longer live here?

Because presumably he is a British Citizen.
  • hiplexa
    Options
    Yes I am a British citizen and entitled to vote. I was on the ER at a UK address (where a family member now lives) but came off it a couple of years ago because the local council couldn’t understand how it was possible to be on the ER for an address without actually living there. Accordingly they started sending out incorrect (higher) council tax bills to that address.

I don’t need UK credit while I’m overseas but I will be applying for a mortgage when I come back in around 2 years’ time. I didn’t show up as an overseas elector when on the ER at the UK address when I was overseas because I didn’t actually vote during those years. My concern is that by flagging up my non-UK tax residency at this stage, I am needlessly causing some negative impact in my credit rating (though I do have a UK credit card that is available to non tax residents).
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hiplexa wrote: »
    Yes I am a British citizen and entitled to vote. I was on the ER at a UK address (where a family member now lives) but came off it a couple of years ago because the local council couldn’t understand how it was possible to be on the ER for an address without actually living there. Accordingly they started sending out incorrect (higher) council tax bills to that address.

I don’t need UK credit while I’m overseas but I will be applying for a mortgage when I come back in around 2 years’ time. I didn’t show up as an overseas elector when on the ER at the UK address when I was overseas because I didn’t actually vote during those years. My concern is that by flagging up my non-UK tax residency at this stage, I am needlessly causing some negative impact in my credit rating (though I do have a UK credit card that is available to non tax residents).

You'll be asked for your previous addresses for the past 6 years, most likely.

Unless you were intending on committing fraud your overseas status for voting isn't relevant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure