Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell the holiday company it's refunded me twice?

Options
1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    How sad you have to ask. You are in receipt of money to which you have no right to. It is not right to take advantage of someone else's mistake.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am shocked that you need to ask this!

Of course you should tell the company that they have refunded you twice! It's the honest thing to do and to keep the money is tantamount to theft.

Also, it is pretty certain that the company will eventually discover their mistake themselves and will be coming after you for their money back. That could be a nasty shock if you have spent it by then.

Get in touch, tell them what has happened and ask them for the best way to give the money back to them, with sufficient confirmation that you have done so.
  • AndrewHawthorne
    Options
    Yes in a perfect world that would be true - your 1st paragraph BUT and it's a big but, the world is not perfect and businesses in the UK, especially banks are ripping us off - many are driven to suicide by them acting in a disgusting way - have you not heard about what RBS/Natwest have been getting up to for years?!

You seem to be very animated about the ills of big business and government, and using those feelings to justify doing something that's not right. There's no doubt that some businesses have behaved unethically. It's also true that sometimes governments protect businesses.

I don't know whether you've been personally affected by poor business behaviour, but if you have then I'm sorry about that. I do think however that some balance is important. Governments can sometimes protect banks and other businesses because the consequences of not doing so are far worse and far reaching than providing the support.

Similarly, not all businesses are bad. As it turns out I work for a global consultancy company with over 200,000 employees. Yes, it makes a profit, but it's also extremely ethical with codes of practice and invests a lot into charitable causes and ethical training for its staff. It takes huge pride in being an ethical business, socially and environmentally responsible.

What's the difference between my company and the examples you quote? Simple. The behaviour of the people who lead it. This takes me back to my core point. Businesses are made up of people. People like you and me. How we behave influences everyone around us, both in our business and personal lives. We are society. How we behave is therefore how society behaves. Can we really bemoan the behaviour of some unethical businesses if when given the opportunity we individually behave in the same way?

The world is not perfect. You're right about that. I'm just not sure I agree with your approach to improving it, because I think that the imperfections are our own. Be what you want to see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure