Child screaming - normal?

Options
2»

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It could be that as the parents shout at each other, the child just joins in screaming to be heard and joining in the general high pitched atmosphere.

That's not good but it's not unusual.

As it's bothering you, make a call and share your concerns.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or the child screams to keep the noise of the adults out of its head. When they get older they just scream inside their head, not out loud. Not sure which is worse.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Im going to go against the grain here and say, if you have any concerns whatsoever, ring NSPCC

Fingers crossed and your concerns are nothing

But.........

I personally would rather make a phone call and be wrong, then to ignore my inner feelings and something happened
    I'd go with ennui's suggestion and call the local council social work rather than the NSPCC - they'll just end up calling the local council social work team anyway (our local radio station news a few weeks ago mentioned a report by the NSPCC that all but admitted that little factoid).
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Please report it, it sounds like emotional abuse.
    We had a couple like that renting when we moved in here - one time, my mum and Mrs MbW were sitting in the kitchen, the woman and her partner were having a tremendous row and the banging on the wall sounded like one of them was going to put the other's head through said wall.

There was also one time she was screaming at their little boy (I don't know what he'd done) and we could hear her through the wall f'ing and blinding at him.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I’d say is there anything else about the family that feels ‘off’? Does the child and rest of family and home look cared for, clean? Does it sound like the child is alone? Does it sound like a temper tantrum? Stop and ask yourself: are there other things subliminally worrying you and it’s not just the crying? If you really ask yourself this then your subconscious might well speak up and tell you whether the crying is sort of the final piece of a puzzle or is an isolated thing on its own. If it’s the latter then maybe more of a benefit of the doubt. It is tricky when people speak a different language though.

I live nearby to a very good and well thought of crèche and there are some times that there is a particularly noisy child there and it is very noticeable as a neighbour. In a different context I might think there was a problem.

And as a non-parent it seems to me that the last hour of any parenting day has a decent amount of crying in it and most young children go to bed in fits of tears :) not sure if those who are parents agree...
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    1. This is an old thread.

2. No need to consider whether anything else about the situation seems 'off'. You don't need to make that call - report it and let the professionals do their job.

3. My child does not routinely go to bed in tears or screaming. I do not think I am a sterling parent. I do not think it would be normal for this to happen.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    1. This is an old thread.

2. No need to consider whether anything else about the situation seems 'off'. You don't need to make that call - report it and let the professionals do their job.

3. My child does not routinely go to bed in tears or screaming. I do not think I am a sterling parent. I do not think it would be normal for this to happen.

Equally lots of children do throw tantrums when it comes to bed time - particularly kids with difficulties processing emotions.
  • robertclyne
    Options
    They can be so energetic and not self-aware of their boundaries that's why they tend to act and scream like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure