PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm lurking, too :) I am not exactly prepping for disaster, nor for Brexit, but I like keeping a good pantry (including non-food). This has become more important now that I lost my job and want to make the severance pay last as long as possible.

I made my first proper batch of tasty hummus, all items from the pantry.

We have a good stash of toiletries, camping equipment including gas burner, candles, blankets, matches. I use the chest freezer a lot, and am now taking the time to learn new cooking techniques.

I have for some time wanted to try solar cooking, and will over winter see if I can collect the materials and build my own solar oven, for use in spring and summer.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    HWK has just been over to let the sweep in to do DD1s woodstove chimney, if you haven't had your chimney swept please consider getting it done before the colder weather promised in December gets here, chimney fires are not nice at all!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Really not wanting to spread alarm & despondency amongst our beloved allotment fraternity but this story is surely Very Unusual, yes? I do appreciate feelings can run high - we've devout gardeners in the family after all, but dear heavens.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DigForVictory
    Really not wanting to spread alarm & despondency amongst our beloved allotment fraternity but this story is surely Very Unusual, yes? I do appreciate feelings can run high - we've devout gardeners in the family after all, but dear heavens.

Am I missing a link here? Or have I missed the story?
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cappella wrote: »
    Flour needs to be frozen for at least 48 hours to kill the nasties. Hope that's helpful.

I didn't know we had a new thread. Found it by accident. Nice but rather confused now. Feel rather surplus to requirements. Ah well. These things happen - and these days life is usually confusing :)

Cappella You are certainly not surplus to requirements! ((HUGS))
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oi Capella you're a diehard prepper, none better of course we need you, what are you thinking woman, prepping knickers on and off we go …..
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oi Capella you're a diehard prepper, none better of course we need you, what are you thinking woman, prepping knickers on and off we go …..
    :D I saw somewhere on a prepping website in the US that you can get camo undercrackers for him and her. Prepping pants and over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders, what could be more ........... something.:rotfl:

Wouldn't exactly camoflage me, with my lily-white skin peeking out around the camo keks, but the thought is amusing, is it not?

Cappella, sorry, we're not prepared for you to hand in your preptastic badge, you're stuck with us. :)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    HWK has just been over to let the sweep in to do DD1s woodstove chimney, if you haven't had your chimney swept please consider getting it done before the colder weather promised in December gets here, chimney fires are not nice at all!

Ha this brought back a forgotten memory of 2 small children knocking on my door to tell me there was fire coming out of my chimney:)
    Major panic!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    The moment you're sat in someone's house, stove roaring and they ask you what a cowl is. You reply with words like 'birds nest' 'set' and 'light' to which the reply is "oh". 18 months later and there's still no cowl. :eek:
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aww - what a lovely lot you are. I was just confused but I've followed instructions from Fuddle, MrsLW, Ivyleaf, and GQ and pulled up my camouflaged prepping undies and am ready to carry on prepping regardless :)

Fuddle said
    The moment you're sat in someone's house, stove roaring and they ask you what a cowl is. You reply with words like 'birds nest' 'set' and 'light' to which the reply is "oh". 18 months later and there's still no cowl.

That's just asking for problems. Birds are no respecters of chimneys without cowls as my b-in-law in France recently discovered. I'd say I was sorry for him, as the damage the chimney fire caused is quite extensive, (Jackdaws nests high up in the chimney) but I'm afraid it wouldn't be true. He was too mean to have all of the chimneys swept when they moved in - madness as the house had stood empty for two years - and is now suffering the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure