IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Please Help Parking CEL

Options

Comments

• MFTaylor3
    Options
    WITNESS STATEMENT

7. I am xxxxxx and I am the defendant in this matter. This is my supporting statement to my application dated 24th September 2018 requesting to:

a. Set aside the default judgment dated 23/04/18 as it was defectively served using an old address.

b. Order for the claimant to pay the defendant £255 as reimbursement for the set aside fee.

c. Order for the original claim to be dismissed.

DEFAULT JUDGMENT

8. I understand that the claimant obtained a default judgment against me on 24th April 2018. However, it was not served at my current address, therefore I was not aware of the county court judgment until 23/09/19 when I checked my credit report with Experian and noticed a dramatic decrease in my credit score. On further investigation I found that I had a CCJ on my file from Civil Enforcement LTD.

9. I have never received any correspondence from the claimant, therefore I was never able to challenge the original charge nor the judgment.

10. I have never received any correspondence and at no point prior to 24th September 2018 did I have any contact with the claimant.

11. I believe the claimant has behaved unreasonably by not ensuring they used my correct contact details. According to publicly available information my circumstances are far from being unique. Civil Enforcement LTD’s persistent failure to use correct and current addresses results in an unnecessary burden for individuals and the justice system.

12. I suggest the claimant did not make reasonable enquiries as to my current address before perusing the court order especially considering they had good reason to believe they did not hold my current contact details. Furthermore, considering they received no response from me to their correspondence this should have been a clear indication of the obsolescence of the address xxxx

13. The claimant was able to obtain my correct and current address after (date of judgement) to make me aware of the money owed but only after such time that a CCJ had been passed. This clearly demonstrates that they were aware that they did not have the correct address at the time of perusing the court order.

14. Considering the above I was unable to defend this claim. Therefore, I believe that the default judgment against me was irregular and I respectfully request it is set aside.

ORDER DISMISSING THE CLAIM

15. I further believe that the original parking charge notice has no merit and should thus be dismissed. The claimant is a parking company which seeks to claim for parking charge notices which the claimant believes are due as a result of an alleged breach of contract for parking by a driver.

16. The claimant has obtained details of the vehicle for which the defendant was the registered keeper and used those details to raise a parking charge notice. I dispute this charge in its entirety as I do not know the wording of the contract nor do I know the means by which the contract was alleged to have come into force.

17. If the claimant can evidence that the alleged incident relates to the vehicle xxx any notice to keeper issued by the claimant must comply with Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Otherwise, the claimant is required to prove the driver of the vehicle they claim was involved in the alleged incident. I submit that the claimant cannot provide such evidence and further submit that the claimant does not include Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 ; wording on the parking charge notices they issue and therefore cannot hold the registered keeper of the vehicle automatically liable.

18. A requirement of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 is that any notice to keeper must be served within 14 days of the date of the alleged incident. Since I have not received any documentation I submit the claimant has not complied with the requirements of the Act and thus cannot claim this charge against me as the registered keeper in any case.

19. I further submit that the parking charge notice is without merit due to substantial issues in law. This is for the following reasons:

a. Lack of Standing by Claimant: The claimant is not the landowner of the car park in question and will have no proprietary interest in it. This means that the claimant, as a matter of law, will have no locus standi to litigate in their own name. Any consideration will have been provided by the landholder and only they would have been able claim for any damages or trespass.

b. No Loss Suffered by Claimant: Their claim is presumably based on damages for alleged breach of contract. It is a fundamental principle of English Law that a party who suffers damages through breach of contract can only seek through court action to be put back in the same position as they would have been if the breach had not occurred. In order to do so they must demonstrate their actual or genuine pre-estimate of loss. I submit that no loss has been suffered by the claimant as a result of any alleged breaches of contract on the part of any driver of the vehicle of which I was the registered keeper. I further submit that any loss to the landowner (which would be the only party able to claim such losses) would be minimal.

c. The Charge is an Unenforceable Penalty: I further submit that the parking charge is nothing but an unenforceable penalty as it is not based on any loss suffered due to the alleged infraction.

d. No Contract with the Claimant: Any contract must have offer, acceptance, and consideration both ways. There would not have been consideration from the claimant to the driver. Therefore, there is no consideration from the driver to Civil Enforcement Ltd.

20. On this basis I believe that the claimant has not provided any reasonable cause of action and thus the claim should be dismissed in its entirety.

21. In order to make informed decisions and statements in my defence as former keeper of the vehicle I will require copies of all paperwork and pictures of all signs from the claimant.

Statement of Truth:

I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MFTaylor3 wrote: »
    The judge sent me out the order we are currently up-to number 4 on the list which is:
    - The defendant by 4pm on 17th January 2019 shall send to the court and the claimant his defence to the claim indicating by reference to the particulars of the claim admitted, what is disputed and why.

There you go, so you did get Directions to submit a defence to the court & CEL. Not a Witness Statement at this stage, the Judge wants a defence.

Also, remove this part from any defence as 'no loss' was killed off in 2015:
    b. No Loss Suffered by Claimant: Their claim is presumably based on damages for alleged breach of contract. It is a fundamental principle of English Law that a party who suffers damages through breach of contract can only seek through court action to be put back in the same position as they would have been if the breach had not occurred. In order to do so they must demonstrate their actual or genuine pre-estimate of loss.

I submit that no loss has been suffered by the claimant as a result of any alleged breaches of contract on the part of any driver of the vehicle of which I was the registered keeper. I further submit that any loss to the landowner (which would be the only party able to claim such losses) would be minimal.

c. The Charge is an Unenforceable Penalty: I further submit that the parking charge is nothing but an unenforceable penalty as it is not based on any loss suffered due to the alleged infraction

So, firstly send CEL a SAR online by email right now, asking for copies of all data held, all photos, all letters including a copy of the claims form (where you will then see the Particulars of claim you have to respond to, if you having seen the POC yet).

CEL will probably reply quickly if you email the DPO contact on their Privacy page.

Then, go to the NEWBIES thread and read example defences to see how to word one. Bargepole's concise defence wording is recommended as a base, to which you would add things like the fact CEL have not shown who was driving and it's too long ago for you to know (unless you've already admitted driving?).

Anyway, SAR first, and you might get a reply next week, which shows you their hand.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • MFTaylor3
    MFTaylor3 Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2019 at 1:14PM
    Options
    The website only has mail address no email should I just write to them?
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    So you have now seen a copy of the particulars of claim? Thats usually the first item required, and you are "past" that step, logically (Its why the draft order we put together is ordered in the way it is)

What do they say there?
    You MUST write a defence. By reading POST TWO of the newbies thread you will already have a fair idea what to put, plus by simply searching BY POST on this forum for CEL 2018 defences, you will find more.

What did the judge actually Order? have yo useen this?

Yes, just write to them. Send the SAR FIRST CLASS with FREE proof of posting. Do not send it recorded
  • MFTaylor3
    Options
    Thanks I am now on with writing my defence statement with help of some of the threads I will also get the letter sent off tonight for the SAR. Really appreciate all your help guys. I will post my defence in when ready.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nope, youre writing a DEFENCE. No statement.

Could you please post EXACTLY the judges order here? It would be good to see what they wanted.
  • MFTaylor3
    Options
    Sorry yes defence.

It is ordered that

1. The judgement entered on 23/4/18 is set a side
    2.By 4pm 3/1/19 the claimant shall serve the defendant with a copy of the claim form and file and serve further particulars of claim which must fully comply with CRP 16.4 and CPRPD16 and set out the legal basis of the claim against the defendant and the facts relied upon, fully particularise the loss alledged and show how this has been calculated.
    3. In default of compliance with par 2 of this order by the claimant, the claim shall stand struck out without further order.
    4. Upon compliance by the claimant with par 2 of this order, the defendant shall by 4pm on 17/1/19 send to the court and the claimant his defence to the claim by reference to the particulars of claim what is admitted, what is disputed and why.
    5.Further directions will be given upon compliance by the parties with this order
    6. The cost of this application are reserved to the final hearing
    7.The defendants address for service is recorded as xxxxxxxxxx
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MFTaylor3 wrote: »
    The website only has mail address no email should I just write to them?

How do so many posters repeatedly miss any PPCs' Privacy page when told to look there - this is not something that's hard to find?

https://www.ce-service.co.uk/privacypolicy

There is an email addy. I did say there was, and where to find it.

DO NOT rely on some random posted letter!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • MFTaylor3
    Options
    Morning coupon-mad. I did have a look on the privacy page and only came accross the email address regarding data protection so assumed this wasn’t the department that I needed. Would you advice to send to this address?
  • MFTaylor3
    Options
    Ok so SAR all sent through I have been searching all morning for the best defence that is as close to my case possible. I have edited and added to suit my circumstances. Please see below the defence that I intend to submit any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

1. Defendant was registered keeper at the time in question
    2. Defendant was not driving nor present at the time in question
    3. CEL do not own the land and have failed to evidence a contract with the landowner authorising them to bring charges against the defendant (I have verified this via the land registry)
    4. Nothing to significantly evidence alleged 'breach of contract' no date/time stamped photographs showing the vehicle parked in an incorrect way (I have submitted a SAR to CEL)
    4. Claim for incorrectly filed

In the County Court Claim No: xxxx
    Between Civil Enforcement Ltd (Claimant)
    And
    XXXXXX (Defendant)

DEFENCE

1. The defendant was the registered keeper of vehicle registration number XXXXX on the material date. The defendant denies the claim in its entirety and denies that the claimant is entitled to the sum or any part of the amount claimed

2. The facts of the matter are that the vehicle was parked at Halls Retail Park, Bury on the date in question but due to the vehicle being used by multiple employees I have no recollection of who was driving at the time of the alleged parking breach.

3. The land in question is not owned by the Claimant nor has the claimant produced any evidence of the required authority in the form of a contract with the land owner. Without this the Claimant has no right to bring these charges against the defendant. Accordingly, it is denied that the Defendant breached any of the Claimant's purported contractual terms, whether express, implied, or by conduct.

4. BPA Code of Practice Section 20 (20.5a) states: ‘when issuing a parking charge notice you may use photographs as evidence that a vehicle was parked in an unauthorised way. The photographs must refer to and confirm the incident which you claim was unauthorised. A date and time stamp should be included on the photograph. All photographs used for evidence should be clear and legible and must not be retouched or digitally altered.’ I am yet to receive any photographs as evidence.

6. The Claim form issued on 21st December 2018 by Civil Enforcement Ltd has been incorrectly filed under The Practice Direction. As it was not signed by a Director or legal representative. Practice Direction 22 requires that a statement of case on behalf of a company must be signed by a person holding a senior position and state the position. The claim form was signed by Mr A. Cohen with no further details of position held at Civil Enforcement Limited.

6. The claimant’s calculations of £272.05 have been received on 21st December 2018. The additional sum of £172.05 for ‘debt recovery, admin cost and accrued interest’ appears to be a cost with no apparent qualification and an attempt at double recovery In accordance with The Protection of Freedom Act Paragraph 4 (5) The maximum sum which may be recovered from the keeper by virtue of the right conferred by this paragraph is the amount specified in the notice to keeper

(c) The defendant refutes that the Claimant is entitled to claim £50 legal representation costs CPR 27.14 does not permit these to be recovered in the Small Claims Court. In Ladak v DRC Locums UKEAT/0488/13/LA the Claimant can only recover the direct and provable costs of the time spent on preparing the claim in a legal capacity, not any administration cost.

(d) No figure for additional charges has been ‘agreed’ nor could they have been included as part of the alleged ‘contract’ because no such costs have been quantified on the signs or on any of the subsequent correspondence from The Claimant

The defendant believes that the claim has no merit or reasonable prospects of success and invites the court to strike out the claim.

I believe the facts stated in this defence are true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport