Think Rabbits dying, any advice

Options
millysg1
millysg1 Posts: 532 Forumite
edited 8 April 2018 at 1:08PM in Pets & pet care
So our bunny is 8.5, house rabbit and eats all fresh food but the last few days he hasn!!!8217;t eaten much.

Today he has been dribbling a lot, wet eyes and hiding from us which is very unusual. Breathing fast too. I!!!8217;ve looked this up and it looks like he is on his way out :(

He is currently hiding under my sons bed, we!!!8217;ve put food under there for him and left him to it as he doesn!!!8217;t seem to want to come out.

Does anyone know anything about rabbits? Should we take him to vets tomorrow if he is still the same? Or will that just over stress him in what might be a pointless trip? It!!!8217;s a half an hour drive each way and he gets very distressed in car rides. Do we take him only if he seems to deteriorate or be in pain etc?

Any advice is welcome is this upsetting time.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd keep it at home and let things take their course.

Stress is likely to be too much on a trip to the vets

Our guinea pig died overnight after similar symptoms
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • millysg1
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    I'd keep it at home and let things take their course.

Stress is likely to be too much on a trip to the vets

Our guinea pig died overnight after similar symptoms

Thank you, that’s what I was thinking but didn’t want to be cruel to him by not seeing the vet and but I do think the trip will be too much.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I disagree.

Animals that are dying suffer. They can suffer for ages before finally succumbing to whatever it is that's killing them - and many things can be treated.

Take him to the vet as a priority - he might die on the way, he might need to be put to sleep to end his pain and distress - or he might need some treatment that would cure him completely. All that's certain is that the animal is suffering now and by doing nothing, that is guaranteed to continue.

You want to do the right thing; I think that risking an 'oh, he's gone' moment when you look in the carrier to either get him treated or allowed to slip away pain free when you get there is the right thing.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • millysg1
    Options
    I disagree.

Animals that are dying suffer. They can suffer for ages before finally succumbing to whatever it is that's killing them - and many things can be treated.

Take him to the vet as a priority - he might die on the way, he might need to be put to sleep to end his pain and distress - or he might need some treatment that would cure him completely. All that's certain is that the animal is suffering now and by doing nothing, that is guaranteed to continue.

You want to do the right thing; I think that risking an 'oh, he's gone' moment when you look in the carrier to either get him treated or allowed to slip away pain free when you get there is the right thing.

Another very good point. I don!!!8217;t think there isnt much we can do today. But I think we will assess first thing in the morning and call the vets and get their advice on whether to bring him in. I just don!!!8217;t want to cause him increased pain and stress by transporting him.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would ring your vet for advice today, rather than waiting until tomorrow. Although not in office hours most vets would rather a quick phone call - and they may request you take your rabbit in as an emergency - rather than an animal left to suffer.

I hope that the outcome is either a full recovery or a painless passing.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You cannot contact a vet out of Hours down here , you are told to ring the emergency vet , then told to take it in

I'd rather my pet died peacefully at home rather than during a stressful journey in a box or cage on the way to the vets unless it is in pain or obvious distress . Rapid shallow breathing is normally a sign of heart failure
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Phone the vet today, denying an animal appropriate vet care is cruel.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    You cannot contact a vet out of Hours down here , you are told to ring the emergency vet , then told to take it in

I'd rather my pet died peacefully at home rather than during a stressful journey in a box or cage on the way to the vets unless it is in pain or obvious distress . Rapid shallow breathing is normally a sign of heart failure

I agree with you.

Our dog died a few weeks ago at the age of 17 and 5 months.

She had reached her time, She was not in pain or distress.

She absolutely hated going to the vet and would struggle to get away when we got there.

I did not want her last moments to be like that.

She passed peacefully at home in her own bed within a few hours.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    I agree with you.

Our dog died a few weeks ago at the age of 17 and 5 months.

She had reached her time, She was not in pain or distress.

She absolutely hated going to the vet and would struggle to get away when we got there.

I did not want her last moments to be like that.

She passed peacefully at home in her own bed within a few hours.

This rabbit seems to be in significant distress though.

Personally, I'd get the vet to come to the house to PTS asap, no matter what the cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure