We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    All quiet on the chicken front here. We seem to have got the red mites under control and have been rotating coops and powdering profusely. The hens were powdered too and everything seems to be fine now.

Our girls are quite happy just now and laying well, enjoying the sunshine. They are a wee bit put out that they don't get in the garden anymore but when the dog is out she chases them and we are doing very gradual controlled exposure to reduce the excitement that only flappy squaky hens can bring.

We have a 12 week old pup added to the mix now so life has been a bit mayhem with not much peace and quiet to post on MSE. How is everyone else getting on?
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    All pootling on quietly here. Hens laying 5/7 and 6/7 regularly with the odd 7/7 although 2 of the hens are getting on a bit. Its great to see them doing so well.

My kind neighbour bought them round some grapes yesterday. They were swiped from her husbands hand to treat the girls! She is continuing to sell their eggs to neighbours and will give the money to the BHWT where the girls are from.

Sounds like we've got a herd of elephants running around upstairs, but it is the cats playing.:):):)

Weather forecast is good for the rest of the week, hope everyone can enjoy some sunshine.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • oldandhappy
    Options
    Rather too hot here this week..Put the Two Cats indoors when it does this silly heat by lunchtime and as our house is so cool it is perfect for us all.....come Sunday back to ok summer temps again. We are building a car port adjoining the barn at the moment and it is going slowly with the heat..nobody would build this time of year well except hubby.....hens are a bit panting also but they have lots of shady places and love the wood shed digging in as they do. Happy hens with so much freedom here. Foxes are timid so rarely see them so although they are always a threat in our eyes we feel a lot safer here than the last place we lived where they would roam in the day quite openly.Yeah its a good feeling when your pets are having the good life they so deserve. BW Dianne

Had no red mite now at all but do watch out for it as it causes the Hens misery...scaley leg is worst of course.
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well my girls have gone on strike! At the weekend we moved their enclosure to a fresh spot in the orchard, scrubbed, sprayed and powdered the coops and powdered the chooks, to make sure everything is clean and pest free and we have only had 6 eggs since! Is this usual?
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    Well my girls have gone on strike! At the weekend we moved their enclosure to a fresh spot in the orchard, scrubbed, sprayed and powdered the coops and powdered the chooks, to make sure everything is clean and pest free and we have only had 6 eggs since! Is this usual?

Here's a good article on what can stop hens laying, sounds like the stress of the move has impacted on your hens. They will settle down, and keeping those pesky mites under control will help. You could put some ACV in their water, we do it as a matter of course once a month, but don't use it with metal water containers.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

Not been on here for ages so not caught up with all your chicken news yet, too much PINTEREST browsing.

I got 3 new girlies a month ago.....white leghorns and 2 of them are partially sighted so can't judge distance or see things very close up. They have become real sweeties though. I have picked them up 3 or 4 times a day so now they don't run like the older girls. 2 of them have started laying but the youngest will be a few weeks yet.

lots of sun bathing and dust baths going on with the odd egg laying trip. It must be hell wearing a feather duvet in this weather. The new girls have discovered the dust bathing spots but haven't quite understood they have to shake off any excess so they walk around with half a ton of dust in their feathers and a dust cloud following them as they walk. :rotfl:
  • ali-t
    Options
    We have a potential broken wing on one of the hens. she got trapped under something - poor wee girl.

After seeking advice, her wing is now strapped up and she is in a separate run from the others (but they can all still see each other) and receiving major TLC. She seems fine in herself and not in any pain but wow do I feel guilty that she was left trapped for a while.

We might be getting some more hens as the place we have been buying from are stopping selling hens and old stock is going cheep (intended pun!). This would put us back in double figures again. :-)
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • AnnMollys
    AnnMollys Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I have around 10 hens that I don’t have name for, as I find it hard to remember :D so, I just remember them by colors and style…. Getting around 7-8 eggs a day, I sell around 50% while rest I keep for personal use.
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    HaHa AnnMollys my OH does that with ours except he just adds a number to a name of our past chickens eg. Winnie 99. thats providing the make and model are the same. I haven't named my 3 new girls yet. I had names all worked out but they just don't fit their personalities. He put them to bed tonight and managed to have an empty house at the end. I haven't checked who is in with who but just hope there is no blood this morning.

How is your little girl with the broken wing ali-t? She needs some grapes!
  • ali-t
    Options
    Hen with broken bring seems to be doing ok. we took the bandage off and she is a bit wonky but seems fine and the other hens aren't picking on her anymore and she is back with the flock so all is well.

We have sourced another 6 hens at a bargain price so they arrived today and the hen enclosure has been split in 2 while the turf war commences. Looking forward to meeting them all when I get home from work tonight. Hopefully they settle quickly as I am not keen on the pecking order kicking in.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback