Polaroid Cube action cam: fake resolutions...?

Options
I've just bought a Polaroid Cube HD action camera. But I can't see any difference between the 720p and 1080p video settings... or the 6MP photos. :undecided

I recorded two still videos of the same view (one at 720, one at 1080) and I could just make out the time on my computer screen. Switching between the two videos made no apparent difference to readability.

Stranger still, the 720 and 1080 videos (of roughly the same length) had roughly the same file size... which makes me wonder if they've just been re-scaled...?

And the "6MP" photos look identical to a still from a 720/1080 video. A 720 image has 0.9MP and 1080 has 2.1MP, so a 6MP should surely look a lot sharper!

I'm happy enough with the camera, so not looking for consumer advice. I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has noticed the same thing...?

And... has anyone found any legit firmware updates?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The photo's and not based on the 720/1080 setting. They are 6MP.

And the MP count is nto everything... I had a Fuji 2800 2MP camera and replaced it with a 4MP polaroid camera. The polaroid was quickly given away because the 2MP Fuji was far superior.

6MP = 3072 x 2048, your pictures will be that size. Quality could be awful but they will be that size.

720/1080 again its down to the quality, whats the compression rate for each size? Have you checked the bitrate?

Not noticed the same issue because i would not buy one, they are rubbish if you want decent picture quality.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure