Rear window demister fuse blown

Options
I have a Citroen Picasso and the fuse has blown on the rear windscreen demister heater, tried replacing fuse but it blew straight away. No sign of damage on the lines on the window so I presume wiring must be at fault. Is this an expensive job to fix?
I can offer no resistance, I can offer no respite
Wake me when conflict is over,
I aim for a peaceful life,
Wake me up when the fury is ended
I like living a peaceful life

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suspect cheap to fix, but possibly expensive to diagnose.

Try a Citroen forum - it may be a common fault.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    I suspect cheap to fix, but possibly expensive to diagnose.

Try a Citroen forum - it may be a common fault.

Aye if it's a short somewhere in the wiring it's probably pennies to fix, but potentially very time consuming, or difficult to locate.

As you say there may be a common location for the fault that is known about, at a wild guess the first place I would look would be the wiring as it goes from the body of the car to the boot, as that's an area where the wiring will be getting bent/pulled on a regular basis whilst also exposed to the elements to some degree (so highest wear area, and water ingress).
    But an owners forum might know of somewhere specific to that model where a cable is likely to wear due to vibration (IE a point where it passes through a bulkhead or over a bolt and rubs).

The only issue is that a visual inspection will be a little difficult unless you can get the plastic sheaving off.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do not be tempted to replace the fuse with a higher rated one. During my time as an auto electrician I saw a car the AA towed in which wouldn't run. The car kept blowing a fuse so the owner just kept putting in higher and higher rated ones eventually using a bolt. Over time eventually the whole front to rear wiring loom melted and took out a fair chunk of the loom behind the dash as well. The cause? He fitted a high level brake light and took the supply from it from the drivers side rear light cluster. Not a problem with doing that but when he put the light cluster back in he put a screw straight through the middle of the twin core wire supplying the high level brake light and therefore blowing the fuse every time he used the brakes.

End result, car was a write off due to the cost of replacing the entire wiring loom.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Do not be tempted to replace the fuse with a higher rated one. During my time as an auto electrician I saw a car the AA towed in which wouldn't run. The car kept blowing a fuse so the owner just kept putting in higher and higher rated ones eventually using a bolt.

TtFotWu.jpg
  • Philip624
    Options
    Thanks all it’s a 13 year old car so don’t really want to spend on it if possible I have seen a few suggestions online for reducing the delisting of windows including devices like dehumidifiers night try one of those to get by on.
    I can offer no resistance, I can offer no respite
    Wake me when conflict is over,
    I aim for a peaceful life,
    Wake me up when the fury is ended
    I like living a peaceful life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts