UPS claim for damaged MacBook Pro - booked through Interparcel

Options
td75
td75 Posts: 1 Newbie
First Anniversary
I recently sent a MacBook Pro to someone and booked a UPS delivery through Interparcel. The packaging and laptop was damaged by UPS in transit.

I contacted UPS to let them know about the damage and they said damaged items must be in the original packaging, sealed and ready for pickup and after the inspection has been made the shipper will be notified.

About a week later I received the parcel back and the packaging is now in very poor condition. The laptop has now suffered a smashed screen and the lid is crushed as well, where before it had only been dented on the side.

I got in contact with UPS and they said their record shows that the investigation was now closed. For additional information regarding the investigation, please contact the shipper (INTERPARCEL LIMITED).

I'm now still waiting to hear back from Interparcel. In the mean time I found that laptops are restricted on Interparcel website along with almost everything else you could think of! I guess this is their way to try get out of paying for any damages to anything.

Anyway the problem I have is why would UPS ask to collect the laptop in already damaged packaging to allow further damage to happen? Surely they should have provided additional protective packaging around the already damaged packaging?

I contacted UPS again and they said: I do apologize for the situation and that the package got damaged. However, a claim was issued for this package. The package had been returned to Interparcel, because we were not provided with the address where it had to be returned. We are responsible for the investigation and because there were no deficiencies of the packaging, we issued the claim.

You were not advised about the claim or the progress of the investigation, because due to our terms and conditions and the contract the we have with the shipper, we are able to update just the payer of the shipment. In this case, it is Interparcel.

Do I have any rights to a claim on this basis as it has been damaged further on the way back to me? And who is now responsible for this additional damage, UPS or Interparcel?

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    The issue is, that regardless of how/who and why the damage occurred, your contract is with Interparcel, you do not have any contract with UPS.

Most companies specifically exclude electrical and screens so a MacBook would certainly not be insurable on their services.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you send it just in the original packaging or was that put into a larger box for extra protection?

You really need to pack things very defensively. Sadly it's too late now, but many carriers exclude anything remotely fragile and it's essential to read through excluded items before sending.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure