Payroll software or bureau - recommendations?

Options
Did a quick search but nothing obvious came up.

Small-ish charity, currently 35 employees, it hovers around that number depending on how many people are on maternity leave but won't go significantly above.

We currently use a payroll bureau we're not entirely happy with, and have our AE dealt with separately (pensions are with NEST). In both cases we enter data through a portal.

Looking to change, and might even take payroll in-house. We've had BrightPay and Biznus Payroll recommended to us - BrightPay would mean bringing payroll in house, Biznus would mean sending off spreadsheets of changes each month.

Has anyone used either of these, or want to offer other recommendations? We have access to HR advice, and we've got two of us who've done payroll in a past life so could immediately get to grips with a new system, and another who could be trained up - I always like a bit of over capacity in payroll, in case anyone falls under a bus ...
Signature removed for peace of mind

Comments

• megabellegirl
    Options
    I've used Brightpay for the last 4 years & find it pretty good, especially with pensions & Automatice Enrolment. If you've got previous payroll experience, you'll find it a doddle.
    Their support when you need it is good, but they are sometimes a little slow to respond.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks. My manager is worried it's too cheap - too good to be true! She and I have both done small payrolls before, me in the days before HMRC produced online tools of any use - initially calculating from manuals, latterly keying figures in and writing down the answers because they couldn't be saved ...

My feeling is that it is cheap enough to be worth trying, perhaps in parallel to our current system if we can do it 'non-live'.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just bumping this up to say that we've run BrightPay alongside our existing bureau in April and May.

April I got the salaries to within a gnat's whisker of each other: 11p out.

May was a little trickier: my method of calculating back pay and deductions for people joining us mid month was not the same as our bureau's. After a little investigation, the bureau have discovered that their software wasn't working properly! :eek:

Response from BrightPay has usually been prompt and detailed, even if on reading it I feel I should have been able to work it out for myself (so they may be thinking "Seriously? She can't work that out?"). Just got one query they've not yet answered which I shall pursue, because their video demonstrating how to run 'reports' clearly shows an 'Audit Report' which is absent from my menu!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport