MSE News: Santander: Service has improved, but there's a long way to go

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The woman who runs Santander personal banking claims it has turned the corner after a torrid 18 months
..."

Comments

• Lith
    Lith Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    improved? (maybe so)

But thank god i got a branch transfer form from RBS, not letting satan take over my account.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The reduction of queues in branch is mentioned repeatedly as a success. Isn't one reason that queues are shorter that Santander has such a bad reputation that many potential customers don't come and that many existing customers have left?
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Still would never go near Santander with a bargepole. Awful, awful customer service - they treat their customers with contempt.
    poppy10
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If they put as much effort into fixing the systems that don't work they would then reduce the number of complaints that they are now putting so much effort into handling.

I recently had a problem with opening an e-account on line and submitted a secure message. I then received a phone call telling me that I could open the (on line e-) account by phoning an 0800 number, when this call was sorted I was passed on to someone else who asked questions about the handling of my complaint, the whole angle of the questions carefully worded towards me giving a positive answer. I answered that I was happy that they got back to me but a pity that they cannot get their systems to work properly and I will go somewhere that has a functioning system.
  • tagq2
    tagq2 Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    Tips for future public relations interviews:

(1) If you submit a photo of yourself, whether you're prime minister or head of some-bank-department, then it's a flashing red light that you're more interested in putting across some sort of corporate personality rather than facts. Don't do it. It doesn't matter what you look like;

(2) As with any politician, it is obvious when you have come armed with some points, e.g. shorter queues, and you're wanting to redirect questions to your point. Lines like "what customers/people want is..." are also a warning sign - I already know what I want so you please tell me what you can/will/have deliver(ed);

(3) Phrases and sentiments along the lines of "hopefully come next year" are as useful as "perhaps maybe if I'm in the mood". Give detail. Commit and follow through. Build up a history of doing so;

(4) If you really want trust, allow journalists to speak freely to staff on the shop floor. They will tell people what's going right and wrong in their area. You've taken on board the idea that you need to improve - good! - but improvement ultimately happens when staff are well trained and well treated, including the freedom to get things done using their own initiative and intelligence rather than having to go through some complex centralised process.
  • gezzs
    gezzs Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Too late. Poor customer service meant I moved two accounts and my mortgage from them to First Direct - who I cannot fault
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It would be interesting to see if she would comment on this:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2049577/TONY-HETHERINGTON-How-ID-proof-Santander.html

How much other money do they have languishing in their own accounts which they can't be bothered to reunite with people? How many hoops do people have to jump through to get their own money?

Shambolic.
  • older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    While i've not got much history with santander i'd like to put an alternative viewpoint.

while it took me three weeks to open my natwest current account it was far less probably 2 weeks maximum to open my santander account. My experience and this is limited to just over a month has been a good one. When i need to contact customer services this view might change lol
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 November 2011 at 5:52PM
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    The reduction of queues in branch is mentioned repeatedly as a success. Isn't one reason that queues are shorter that Santander has such a bad reputation that many potential customers don't come and that many existing customers have left?

Or maybe it, just that there's a lot more branches now.

Nice to know the call centres are back in this country now. I'd stopped using them, at least now If I have to make a call I won't have to ask to be transferred.
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    alanq wrote: »

Where did this info come from? I thought Santander's customer base was increasing in size.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure