MSE News: Couples now able to register to shift tax allowance between spouses

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your wife transferred the allowance so if SHE cancels it it will run until the end of the current year- 5 April 2019 and then be removed rom you and given back to her.

You received the allowance so if you cancel it the transfer is cancelled back to the date it was first transferred,

So, if you do not wish it be cancelled back to the beginning your wife needs to cancel. Do not confuse the issue by saying you are cancelling. Your wife has to be the one to cancel it.
  • Dotty76
    Dotty76 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 June 2018 at 9:09AM
    Options
    **UPDATE** I called HMRC who have been sort of helpful. I'll feed back what they say.

Hi all. New to this forum lark so sorry if this has already been answered. My hubbie has not been working for last year. Finally got around to claiming the tax for me. He went on the hard website but it does not recognise any of his bank details. Any ideas on how he can prove his identity so he can move on to the next stage?
  • CarolineD68
    Options
    New to the forum, thanks in advance for any help,
    My husband is the full time wage earner and claimed married tax allowance when we married years ago.
    I am part time and come in under the tax threshold so would I still be able to claim?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,825 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My husband is the full time wage earner and claimed married tax allowance when we married years ago.

What do you mean by 'married tax allowance' ?
    I am part time and come in under the tax threshold so would I still be able to claim?

If your husband is not a higher rate tax payer, then yes you can 'claim' the Marriage Allowance (assuming you haven't already done so - I'm not sure what you mean by the marridd tax allowance above).

Note that this works by you giving up 10% of your tax allowance to pass on to him, so you may end up paying a bit of tax yourself if your earnings are only just under the threshold.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 February 2019 at 1:56PM
    Options
    New to the forum, thanks in advance for any help,

There are many newer topics on MSE covering Marriage Allowance Transfer. I suggest that you follow them as this topic is very out of date.

On one of them, the idea of both partners claiming is being debated - and nobody knows of anyone who has tried this!

Generally, the one who elects for MAT is the lower earner - so why did your husband elect for it? This doesn't make sense.

Eligibility for MAT has nothing to do with your "tax allowance" - if you mean your Personal Allowances. The only financial criterion is that nether party is, or would be - due to MAT, classed as a higher-rate tax-payer.

So, nobody seems sure if both parties can elect for MAT - but from the information you've supplied it looks like you only need a single election - but that it be you and not your husband who should be the elector!
  • CarolineD68
    Options
    Hi I'm not sure of terminology etc I just know way back 15 years ago my husband asked for 'married man's tax allowance'
    I guess I should just check and let them notify me if I can do it too.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi I'm not sure of terminology etc I just know way back 15 years ago my husband asked for 'married man's tax allowance'
    The married man's tax allowance has not existed since 2000 and, unless one of you were born before 1935, there has only been a single allowance for everyone. If you are not claiming the married couples allowance then you are eligible to transfer 10% of your allowance.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Don't confuse yourself further by contacting HMRC.

Instead, reply to the points I and others have put to you.

This thread is about an allowance which has only been around for a few years whereby one spouse can transfer 10% of his/her personal allowance to the other spouse.

Whatever you call it, if this isn't what you are thinking of you are in the wrong thread.

Make it clear to us what - forget the name - you are hoping to do and we may be able to re-drect you.
  • aith
    aith Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can my me and my wife apply for this even though she isn't working/no income at all
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Can my me and my wife apply for this even though she isn't working/no income at all

No, "me and my wife" cannot apply.

It sounds as though your wife could apply. Not working is totally irrelevant, it is her taxable income and which tax rates she is liable to which matters. If she has literally no taxable income them she will be fine to apply i.e. she is both eligible and you as a couple may be able to benefit.

She had to look at each tax year separately - she may have no taxable income now but it could have been different back in the 2015-16 tax year.

Providing you haven't been liable to higher rate tax you will receive a tax credit off each year's tax bill (worth £238 last year, slightly less in previous years).

Could be worth c£1,140 over the past 5 years (earliest year it existed is 2015:16).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure