Mrs S.....life after debt

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    :wave: Hi purplemum

Thank you :) I must admit I'm far from perfect, and stopping myself from overspending is going to be a lifelong battle (unless I win millions on the lottery :rotfl: ). It is nice being able to start working on the mortgage, though it's only small amounts it will make a difference in the end.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    edited 2 June 2018 at 8:19AM
    Options
    End of the week has arrived, which means another skim of the accounts. This week I've managed to put away £6.76 into savings :j From someone who couldn't save a penny, putting a different outlook on it has really helped. I've saved more during the past few weeks than I have all year!

I've had a couple of Spends today (confession time :rotfl: ). Ds1 is totally shattered, has a few mouth ulcers, and is generally feeling a little pants, and then he asked for a chippy tea. £5.20 later that was dinner for both boys sorted :rotfl: Totally unhealthy, and being run down healthy foods full of nutrients and vitamins would've probably been far better. Sometimes, life feels so much better eating dinner out of a box though. :rotfl:

I also picked up a bottle wine and some choccies, and spent £8 doing it! It adds up so fast. That's almost a week's worth of entertainment money gone is a flash!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Saturday!! Mr S is taking the boys for most of the day so I'm having a bit of me time. By me time I mean shed hunting :rotfl: I'm saving for a new shed at the moment and mr S has said that he'll contribute so I'm going to price some up to see what I need to aim for. I actually have 2 small sheds here. 1 came with the house and the other was a freebie. One of them has a massive hole in the roof (by massive I mean around a third of the roof is missing) and the door has fallen off (currently being propped up!!). It's not good!!! I'm going to get rid of both and buy one big, new shed. I may get a bit of a scare with prices quoted though!!

I've checked my Tesco cc this morning and the £35 refund is there. The only pending transactions I have are yesterday's spends on chips and wine!

Ds1 is going to a birthday party tomorrow (oh the joys.......I'm not a fan of them!!!). Already got a gift for that one (reduced to £3.33 :j ) Speaking of birthdays, I need to write a list of upcoming that I need to buy for. I have a few (and Father's Day and a new baby) gifts to buy so hoping to get most of it sorted next week during my days off.
  • MrsSave
    edited 3 June 2018 at 7:48AM
    Options
    I am the proud owner of a new shed :rotfl: I am also the not so proud owner of an empty bank account :eek: It has been paid for in full on the Tesco card (wahey for the points) and I have the money waiting in an account to pay it in full. It will be arriving at some point in July. I can't wait :j It has pretty much cleared what I was saving, but I'm now going to start thinking of the next little project and savings goal. I need my whole back garden and a little of the front fenced!! That's not going to come cheap, but I've decided to get a quote this year so I have something to aim for. It will be next summer by the time I can save up enough for it (unless I have a win on the premium bonds, though June wasn't successful :rotfl ).

It's so easy to spend money though. I haven't spent a fortune (on top of the shed) but over £30. I bought some more seeds for planting (flowers and veg), then some pots and compost to do the planting!! I'm going to do some planting with ds1 in the morning.

I've also been working on spreadsheets today. I have actually totally impressed myself and used the 'if' function on excel (and it works!!). I'm still working on budgeting gifts correctly. I think I'm pretty much there now with it, but have totally shocked myself with how much I need to spend for gifts to cover the next 2 months. Moving on then, I'm planning on buying gifts a month in advance (for the ones I can), so if there were any birthdays in August, the gifts will be bought in July. By doing that I'm never running around last minute, realising I haven't got enough money in the pot and buying something cheap, last minute for the sake of buying something.

June/July are expensive months for birthdays, but things should quieten down then with only the odd little bit each month until the new year. I've got £157.50 in the pot for June and July's gifts (includes a Father's Day activity and an activity for my mums birthday) and after totting up everything I need to get I should come in around £10 under budget. There has been a new baby in the family so need an extra gift there, and we're heading to a wedding in a few weeks time so need a gift for that which has made things a little tougher. Definitely doable though!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    Options
    Have fun planting the seeds. I really enjoy gardening at the best of times but moments shared with my toddler over a bag of compost and packet of seeds are truly precious.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Today has turned out far lazier than I thought! Ds1 wasn't well at all when he woke up this morning. Very quiet and a slight temperature. He was supposed to go to a birthday party, but I text the mother to cancel and we've just lazed about watching tv, eating and he's now playing on my ipad! Ds2 is with Mr S so we're really taking advantage of the quiet time!

We may still do a little gardening this afternoon, we'll see how he gets on. I've spent £10 today on books. I ordered the 10 for £10 from the Works. I had on my list for tomorrow a couple of children's gifts to buy, but as they're just token gifts I think I'll wrap 2 books for each. Only £2 per child spent out of the budgeted £5. I must admit that with the amount of toys my boys have, I'd be quite happy with a couple of books!!

2 more of the books will be wrapped for ds1 for his birthday in a couple of months time. He loves books (though we have billions here already :rotfl: ).

I still have quite a list of things to get tomorrow and Tuesday, but should definitely come in under budget now! :j
  • MrsSave
    Options
    How on earth is it only the 4th of June. My bank account begs to differ and I'm pretty sure it must be almost pay day. :eek: Housework has also pretty much been non existent today. I went food shopping and made a cottage pie! There's enough cottage pie to freeze several portions, which will make fab work lunches.

Food shopping was a success today. I actually came in under budget (with a couple of treats (for me :o ) thrown in!). £46.78 spent today out of a £50 budget. I've also got another £10 for a top up shop as well, so fingers crossed there will be a little left at the end of the week :j

I picked up a couple of gifts whilst I was out today. I had a £10 budget for one, and came in at £9. The second I had an £8 budget for and came in at £6.78 :j :j :j More gift shopping for June and July tomorrow. What an expensive couple of months!!

I've been through ynab tonight and reconciled all my accounts. It all balances, just far lighter than they should be!!
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same problem... I think there must be a hole in my bank account and the money is falling out. :o:D:eek:
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • MrsSave
    Options
    It's not been pretty here :o I don't want to admit how bad it has been, but if it wasn't for this site and YNAB, things would be a million times worse.

I have totally overspent this month. I'm not even sure on what most of it has been for!! I was getting totally fed up with Slimming World so signed up one evening for Joe Wicks' 90 day plan. I found a money off voucher, so it cost £87. I'm now starting week 2 and believe it's money well spent. I've done more exercise in the last week and a half than I have for the past 10 years I think :rotfl:

Once the plan landed in my inbox, I did my meal plan and ordered a home delivery from Tesco. It was £120 :eek: :eek: :eek: That's double my usual weekly shop. I've also topped up since for another £20. That was ridiculous. Things have improved this week, though. I went food shopping this morning and spent £55. This was £5 over budget, and that has come from my top up shop which now sits at £5.

I've needed to buy quite a few gifts this month which I had attempted to budget for. Not very well, obviously :( I needed to buy new school shorts and socks for ds1 and things generally started to get a little out of hand. With the shed as well, my credit card balance was looking super scary and I was at major risk of saying 'stuff it' and just spending more and more. So, I paid off everything so far this month from the credit card which got it back to zero. My accounts are looking very empty, but I feel like I'm getting control back.

This weekend there are a couple of 'spends' coming up, but I really need to keep control. I'm going to a wedding on Saturday, but wearing an outfit I already have. We've decided to give £20 as a gift, and I sold one of the baby bits that was sitting around, as both boys are too big for it, on facebook for £10 so that's my half sorted. It's just 'drinking' money to find (though on the Joe Wicks plan I should be sticking to just tap water :rotfl: I'm sure there'll be a glass of wine though!). I'm also out for lunch on Friday (unavoidable) so I may have a browse to see if I can find any decent vouchers for anywhere here (or Tesco vouchers????).
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Day off today and I've spent most of it so far in the kitchen. I've almost finished sorting my work lunches for the rest of the week. I bought a 1.8kg pack of chicken breasts from Aldi yesterday, so I've portioned them into little bags and popped them in the freezer. I've done a couple of loads of laundry, probably got another 2 to do (and then some ironing).

I keep jumping back and forward between YNAB and my Christmas/birthday spreadsheet. I'm trying to find the balance between saving enough each month so that we don't have to find any extra money, but not going mad and spending too much, which leaves money tight every month. I think I'm about there. I'm not going to post actual amounts on here as I don't think I'd get a fab reaction, but I've totted up and included (for Christmas):
    • Gifts for the boys,
    • Gofts for the boys from each other,
    • Mr S,
    • My parents (2 sets - both divorced and remarried),
    • My Grandparents,
    • Nieces and nephews,
    • Friends children (£5 budget each here),
    • 3 x friends (again small budget - box of choccies for example),
    • Gifts for work (There are only 3 of us in the office),
    • Christmas days out,
    • Christmas food shop,
    • Christmas alcohol,
    • Teacher and nursery staff gifts,
    • Decorations
    • Random other bits I forget about

Birthdays are for pretty much the same people, but include things like a day out for birthdays.

I've started thinking about Christmas more over the last few days, I do usually start planning and writing lists from this time onwards. Last year we bought less for the boys, but 'nicer' gifts if that makes sense. I'm hoping to do the same this year. I don't want to bulk out gifts with cheap bits they're not going to look at just to make it seem like they have more. I'd rather a couple of good quality bits instead.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business