Girls weekend away in a Cottage - 1 pulls out

Hello all

I have a situation. A friend has organised a girlie weekend away in a house. We all agreed to pay £230 each. No mention in the email regarding cancellations. I need to cancel attending. I have paid £190 to date. We haven't seen or signed any paperwork, only agreed via email the dates and the cost.

Where do I stand with the £190 I have paid please?

Many thanks

Comments

• pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I personally feel you should lose it. When booking group accomodation you find something that fits that number and often pay extra effectively for each person. If you comiitted to attending before booking, then a price per person was known which is what others agreed too.

If you paid anything for activities (which can be refunded by the activity provider) or food /drink you won't consume, then I'd expect that proportion to be paid back.

Ultimately you made a commitment and therefore need to stick by it, even if you can now not attend (which could be for very reasonable unforseen circumstances - it's just your issue on the amount lost, not the organisers).
  • I think you should pay or find someone to take your place.

If you don't pay then you have to weigh up how much you value those friends.
  • I agree that you should find someone to take your place, or lose the money. If it was the other way round - you had organised a weekend away and as the person making the booking were ultimately responsible for the cost, you would be really mift (and out of pocket) if someone pulled out and expected their money back.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Unless you have insurance, either accept you will lose your money, not just £190 the whole amount. Or find someone to replace you.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It looks like you owe another £40.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I agree with all the previous posts. You committed to pay £230 so you need to pay the ful £230, unless somebody else takes your place. There is no justification for others being out of pocket because you changed your mind.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    The price of the house will be fixed no matter how many attend therefore if there is one less paying everybody else would have make up their share.

How would you feel if someone else cancelled and you were asked to pay more because of that?

You need to pay the share you agreed to pay.
  • You should/have lost it.
    AGREEments don't need to be formal, you have AGREED, even according to you
    The holiday won't be any cheaper just because you have broken that agreement. Hence why we buy holiday insurance
    Hello all

I have a situation. A friend has organised a girlie weekend away in a house. We all agreed to pay £230 each. No mention in the email regarding cancellations. I need to cancel attending. I have paid £190 to date. We haven't seen or signed any paperwork, only agreed via email the dates and the cost.

Many thanks
    If I ruled the world.......
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

You add £40 to cover your liability, apologise and ensure no future repetition.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • You still owe them £40 - and an apology

You cannot be expecting your £190 back, surely?
    With love, POSR <3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport