Egg credit limit increase

Options
My Egg anniversary is coming up, and I'm going to ask for a credit limit increase.

My limit is currently £4500. What would be an acceptable figure to ask for?

Comments

• bobpork
    bobpork Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on various things, mainly your salary from what I seem to recall.

When you apply to increase online the only questions they ask are what your salary is, and what you want your new limit to be.

Having gained a pay rise in April and not being allowed a credit increase prior to that and then getting one straight after, it seems about 50% of annual salary is their limit, or at least in that ballpark (or it was when I did my increase).
  • creditcardking_2
    Options
    I apply and i am approved for a credit limit increase every 6 to 12 months with my Egg card. I just ask for an increase of 1 or 2 thousand. They will not do a credit check for this and they will not ring your employer. If you ask for several thousand then it would likely be passed to their credit dept for further invesigation, then they may do credit checks etc and its not so good having too many credit searches on your file.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bear in mind the maximum Egg will give on a single card (or was when I last checked a few months ago) was £15000. They will allow transfer of limit between their Blue and Green cards if you have them (but not above £15000 sadly)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • martinpike
    martinpike Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Bear in mind the maximum Egg will give on a single card (or was when I last checked a few months ago) was £15000.

Ha, that explains why my credit limit increase request was turned down!

Anyone got a higher limit with them?
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone ever had an automatic increase without asking from Egg or do you always have to ask?
    TIA
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • WSO
    WSO Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    Chadsman wrote:
    Has anyone ever had an automatic increase without asking from Egg or do you always have to ask?
    TIA
    Yes, back in the early days when I had the Boots Advantage Credit Card (later transferred to Egg green, then blue). However, that was back in the days when I couldn't afford to pay off the balance, they increased it when I did a transfer to the IF card I used to have.

Not had it reviewed automatically recently (read last 2 years) however...
    The only computer error is a human one.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    That's eggsactly ( Sorry couldn't resist it) what I did, moved £4k of C/L from blue card to add to £7k on green, just in time for my anniversary offer. Just got the BT money in the bank today along with the cash back from using the blue card for the last 5 months for purchases at 0%. Lovely stuff.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was given a £5,500 credit limit on my egg green card when I applied for it a few months ago (February I think). Rang them up a couple of weeks ago and they raised it to £7,500.

They asked me what credit limit I wanted, and not being sure what I could get away with, or what would raise eyebrows and generate a credit search went for a couple of grand increase. They granted it in a matter of seconds :-)
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bear in mind the maximum Egg will give on a single card (or was when I last checked a few months ago) was £15000. They will allow transfer of limit between their Blue and Green cards if you have them (but not above £15000 sadly)

I also have a £15,000 limit and was refused an increase from the web site when I asked after 7 months.
    All I used it for was a bal transfer which I paid off on time (yay) and muled 23k from another card. Apart from that it's not used so I wasn't surprised to be refused but from what you say there's no point in asking - but I'll try again just before the next anniversary.
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    nrsql wrote:
    I also have a £15,000 limit and was refused an increase from the web site when I asked after 7 months.
    All I used it for was a bal transfer which I paid off on time (yay) and muled 23k from another card. Apart from that it's not used so I wasn't surprised to be refused but from what you say there's no point in asking - but I'll try again just before the next anniversary.
    Note that my comment applied before 'Egg Money' came out - i.e. you could have £15k on Green, and £15k on blue for a total of £30, and subject to that £15k ceiling, you could transfer limits between cards (I did this to get green up to £15k for 1st anniversary offer.)

HOWEVER - This (I beleive) no longer applies. I seem to recall from another thread that the limit on the Blue (now Egg Money) is 2 times monthly net income. And I can't for the life of me remember which one to reference...
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family