PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FENSA lacking - can of worms?

Options
Have just bought a house, and got no joy on FENSA registration request during solicitor enquiries. House was being sold by executor (son) of deceased, so assumed that windows were older and therefore let it rest. No warranties forthcoming, either.

I now see from markings on windows they were installed in 2015 (no clues yet by whom).

Have checked FENSA page and no FENSA cert for this address. Have been told if you pay council X amount (£150, I think), they will come out, run some sort of test on windows and supply certification.

I have two questions:

If the windows "fail" the test, what then? I'm already dealing with an issue over building regs with another Council so am a bit gun-shy, but would like to obtain FENSA certificate, just for peace of mind.

Two panes have misted up; seems strange for such new windows. Is there any way to find from markings on windows who supplied them, and potentially get them fixed under warranty?
(Nearly) dunroving

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FENSA are not the only ones who do registration - try CERTASS as well

http://www.certass.co.uk
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In practical terms FENSA is a worthless piece of paper. Spend the £150 getting the glazing units replaced and you should still have some change.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Are you plannimg on selling again anytime soon?

If not don't bother.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How would a FENSA certificate give you piece of mind? Either the windows work or they don't, a certificate won't change that..
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rambosmum wrote: »
    How would a FENSA certificate give you piece of mind? Either the windows work or they don't, a certificate won't change that..

As per Post #4, the peace of mind is to do with resale. I didn't think for a minute that getting a certificate would change how the windows operate.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    how long are you planning to stay in the house?
    Fensa is a load of rubbish tbh I wouldn't bother with any of it - if when you come to sell the new buyer wants something get a cheap as chips indemnity policy to keep their lender happy. it's just a game played by solicitors and lenders, as long as the windows perform ok and look ok that's more assurance than a fensa cert would give anyone!
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When you decide to sell, you can buy an indemnity policy for the lack of FENSA certificate. No big deal. It happens all the time.
  • Tiglet2
    Options
    Oh and just get a glazier in to replace the two misted up windows. It's around £50 for the replacement sealed unit.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tiglet2 wrote: »
    Oh and just get a glazier in to replace the two misted up windows. It's around £50 for the replacement sealed unit.

Thanks. Got one quote (£225!) yesterday and have another coming today. I think the one today will be less expensive but comes highly recommended. I'm assuming the price is higher because it's a leaded window.

Yesterday's quote:

"To remove failed double glazed units from existing windows and replace
    them with new clear square leaded double glazed units, check and clean
    drainage channels and remove old units from site.

Total amount £225.00"
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Tiglet2
    Options
    Wow, prices have risen since I got mine done then! Perhaps the leaded glass does make a difference!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure