Private car sale - buyer unhappy.

Options

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    BlackyPFC wrote: »
    UPDATE-

So in an unusual twist, I recieved V5 paperwork today indicating that I am the current registered owner of the car. It seems that the buyer has given me the car back on December 27th!

This indicates that they have forged my signature in order to transfer the car in my name. The address is incorrect as it is registered now at my father in laws address.

I have contacted the police and Action Fraud. Who have logged everything. The DVLA are going to void the transfer when I return the papereork to them with a cover letter explaining thr situation. I will be sure to send evidence also.

So I now am the registered keeper of a car that I am not in possession of and have no idea where it even is! I just hope they are not racking up driving offences in my name!

Where is the fraud in this?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Claiming that the vehicle keeper is someone that it isn't?
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Claiming that the vehicle keeper is someone that it isn't?

So where is the gain or loss?

If the police advised action fraud it was bad advice.
  • BlackyPFC
    Options
    The loss could well be my license or any potential fine should they break the law. They forged my signature. There may be no loss currently but there is potential for loss.

If I wanted to be really pedantic, technically I have lost my car! It's not outside my house! I own it but they havent given it back.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    The loss could well be my license or any potential fine should they break the law. They forged my signature. There may be no loss currently but there is potential for loss.

If I wanted to be really pedantic, technically I have lost my car! It's not outside my house! I own it but they havent given it back.

No, you sold the car so it’s not yours. So how do you own it?

Given you’ve sorted the issue with the DVLA there is no way you’d lose your licence.

You may have an action fraud reference number but that’s all you’ll get from them. It will be filed straight away and nothing will be done by them.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    So where is the gain or loss?
    There doesn't have to be an actual gain or loss as opening someone up to the risk of a loss because of making a false representation is good enough.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    There doesn't have to be an actual gain or loss as opening someone up to the risk of a loss because of making a false representation is good enough.

But there has to be intent.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    V5 doesn't show or prove ownership, it just shows who the registered keeper is who is responsible for the vehicle on the read. Any speeding/parking tickets will come your way but it doesn't mean you own the vehicle. Just make sure DVLA are aware of this scam straight away.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This indicates that they have forged my signature in order to transfer the car in my name.

Not if they did it online - no signature required.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    V5 doesn't show or prove ownership, it just shows who the registered keeper is who is responsible for the vehicle on the read. Any speeding/parking tickets will come your way but it doesn't mean you own the vehicle. Just make sure DVLA are aware of this scam straight away.

That will be down to the driver most of the time.

The registered keeper is something as simple as the person responsible for registering and taxing the vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure