Part time architectural practice

Options
So i have been looking to set up an architectural practice as a one man band, and would like some advice / comments

i have a full time job (37 hours) - vaguely related however not directly. Some weeks i will spend 10 hours and others i may do none, however lets call it an average of 5-7 hours per week over the year. This will give me an income of somewhere between 7-10k, depending on how much i charge.
My target market is domestic clients, small scale jobs, and would be willing to drive up to a couple of hours if it was worth it. I already have a desk at home so could easily use this set up.

Given the above my expenses would be:
Public / Professional indemnity Insurances
tools/equipment/PPE (much of which i have)
Laptop/phone (which i already have)
Software (which i already have)
gas/elec/wifi/mileage
Advertising
Accountancy fees (i have a friend whos willing to do this at cost)

There is also council tax to think of, (most of my work would be via email with no meeting needed here)

Would be grateful for "have you thought about this" type comments. I dont think i am in a position to make this my full time job, however having done some work, i know there is a market there that can be tapped in to.

:beer:
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cannot see where council tax comes into the equation.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
    03022242 Posts: 350 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i think im getting at rates

although i dont think i will have to as its only a small part of my house that i will be utilising.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    03022242 wrote: »
    i think im getting at rates

although i dont think i will have to as its only a small part of my house that i will be utilising.
    As long as there's no dedicated office, it's fine. If you use any room exclusively for business it becomes a problem.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    Although what Savvy Sue said is basically correct, it is not unknown for the Valuation Office Agency to turn a blind eye to an "office" especially in a house on a modern housing estate.

Do I speak from personal experience? You might well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options
    Have you got quotations for professional indemnity? An architect acquaintance of mine contemplated early retirement and working part-time rather as you propose. He abandoned the idea when he discovered the premiums that would be payable.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    but you are retired so surely your "office" is merely your retirement "(wo)man cave in retirement" :cool:

1. I was talking about when I was working in the VOA
    2. I am male, my user name refers to a street where I once lived many years ago.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options
    2. I am male, my user name refers to a street where I once lived many years ago.
    You lived there in 1710?!
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    You lived there in 1710?!

You spotted my inadvertent error, should have been 1810!
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You spotted my inadvertent error, should have been 1810!
    LOL. I always suspected that working for the VOA was an easy life with no stress leading to a loooooong "holiday" on a big fat civil service pension :D.

I trust the party in 1975 for the 100th anniversary of your retirement was :beer::beer::beer::beer::icotbaske ?

can we have an invite to the next one in 2025?
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    LOL. I always suspected that working for the VOA was an easy life with no stress leading to a loooooong "holiday" on a big fat civil service pension :D.

Sadly you are wrong on all four points.

Although my pension is better than those currently on offer and I did take early retirement (3.5 yrs before CS pension would have been payable) as VOA was overstaffed and offered this to older employees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure