PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS gardening/allotmenteering - traditions, money saving and savvy ideas

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    We're saving newspapers so that HWK can dig us (and line properly keep the moisture in) a pea and bean trench so we can set up the permanent frame for them to climb up in the spring. We're having to save some for the stove though!
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    We have three lovely butternut squashes awaiting culinary attention. The only surprise about that is that we didn't plant any... It was a "random" compost-generated seedling, which mostly don't amount to anything, but I needed some extra ground cover where it popped up so I left it. I said to OH that the resulting fruits "look almost edible" and when we tidied up the dead plant, there were 4 lovely sturdy squashes on there! One was roasted that very evening, and it was delicious. So chance-grown squashes aren't always awful; we had 4 pumpkins pop up in the same spot last year & grow along the fence, & they were very nice too.

We've had our plot, on a new site, for two summers now. The first summer we didn't start until mid-June, but were delighted by what we managed to grow, and this year we've done even better. We're not complete newbies, both having run plots elsewhere before, but our allotments are in private ownership and have quite stringent rules and not a lot of facilities. We can't have greenhouses, or poly-tunnels, we can't use ground cover membrane (or any form of plastic, or carpet) except to grow delicate crops through and it has to be removed as soon as they're done. No trees or large bushes, no animals (including dogs), and lately we've been told to stop using wooden composters; only plastic allowed. Originally children were also banned, but that's relaxed now. There is a water supply; a hand-operated pump (wonderful exercise! But not so good for the elderly) which is at the other end of the site, nearly 400 yards from our plot, but we benefit from the shelter of the hedge on an otherwise quite exposed & windy site. We're not even supposed to have fixed paths, except by special arrangement, or sheds (max 6' x 8') which have to be on paving slabs only.

It's not my favourite way to grow things & I find it a little - socially exclusive; there's no way a single mum, for example, could reliably put in all the work needed to cultivate exclusively by spade & hoe, which is what they want. We're also banned from using any chemicals whatsoever, which I do like, but no-one else takes any notice of that & it's the one thing the site managers ignore!

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have the chance to grow our own lovely veg (and a little fruit too) but I sometimes wish we could - cut the odd corner!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2018 at 9:34PM
    Options
    By they've gone hardcore thrifty! I knew the 'no dogs' were on the cards but the chdren ban has annoyed me. The committee asked me to write a piece for the planning department to help with planning permission. It was about young new families coming to the town and how allotmenteering was beneficial in social, emotional, cognitive and physical development for children. :mad:

My plot up here is pretty much rule free. We do have the council come to inspect twice a year but as long as you're working the land it's OK. There's a lot of ignorant viewpoints on my plot. Retired men have had the monopoly up until recently. I have had a year of trouble really, not doing as I have been told but looking forward to a peaceful season next year given my neighbour has moved on and I have had a successful growing year.

I inherited piles of rubbish. I've nearly got it how I want it but still tweaks to do. My plot is set up for I'll health and sad as I am about not having chickens or more growing space I know that I should be OK allotmenteering for years to come hopefully.

MrsL thanks for the tip! I had no idea but I'll be doing that too now. :D
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    Can I join in, even though I'm not really a gardener? Not enough patience! And now, too much arthritis!
    But, as I have written on this forum before, I do have a lovely raised deep bed, which I am getting to know, and have astounded myself with how well it (usually) does.
    It is about 2.5 x 1.5 metres,so I can reach it. I have learned what grows well in it, and especially what saves me money (salads & greens especially)
    We compost everything we can, and I have not 'fed' the deep bed for about 3 years as the compost is so good. I have to say though, that DH likes flowers in tubs, and I do get the benefit of the bought compost that sometimes finds its way into the bin when he is potting out his flowers, and the grass cuttings from our small lawn.
    Early autumn I put in garlic, winter lettuce, winter spinach and lambs lettuce.All winter I usually get enough spinach for 2, and lambs lettuce to add green to winter salads.
    6 broad beans planted in November will give us a few feedings.
    This year I think I have made a mistake. a combination of tomatoes ripening and salad leaves thriving well in to October made me late putting in the winter greens, and I don't think they had a good enough start.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Builders Daughter - you've had me calculating the square footage in that and it comes to approx 40 square feet (if my maths is correct...).

Followed by calculation as to how much square footage I've got in raised beds I had put in - errrm...96 square feet worth.

I've got no excuse then have I?:rotfl::rotfl:

Have just dug out my books specifically on that. I've been focusing on fruit-growing in my garden to date (as fruit is dearer than vegetables and a greater need for it to be imported). Time for me to focus more on vegetables in future.

So I've dug out a couple of the best books I have got on square foot gardening:

- "One Magic Square - the easy, organic way to grow your own food on a 3-foot square" - by Lolo Houbein

and

- "Grow all you can eat in 3 square feet" - no author named. It's a DK book.

So it might be of interest to some to borrow those books from library/see if they're on Amazon.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome Builders Daughter. You both raise good points.

I have been toying with the idea of turning my 4 beds into mixed square foot gardening beds. I waste a lot of space gardening in rows and my plot isn't very big.

There's three things stopping me:

- Traditional attitudes on the plots and I don't know if I can be bothered with another year of comments and eye brow raising.
    - I like order, planning, not necessarily straight rows but knowing where everything is.
    - cabbage white butterfly protection methods.

That said I am removing my hosta out of my tall DH made pallet wood planter and growing salad in the yard this year. That will give my two foot only though.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2018 at 9:40AM
    Options
    I've spent the last few years with some "comments and eyebrow-raising" (in a very different context - ie to do with having moved here). Actually - some of the worst come from other recent incomers here. Incomers that came here some while back have more the same sort of way of looking at things I do personally from what I can see.

I've learnt by now to make comments back along the lines of "You do you and I'll do me". I say things like "I know you mean a different thing than I do when you say "country" for instance - whilst I mean Britain" but just tell them to accept that I mean what I mean and I won't be changing the meaning of the words I use to suit them.

The same thing applies in this rather different context you are in - and I think it's a good idea to say "You do you and I'll do me" there as well. So "I know you like things done this-a-way. But I do things that-a-way. Each to their own" and smile cheerfully and get on with doing things your way.

After a while - they have usually stopped telling me that "your way is the wrong way" and just accept you are doing things a different way.

So that's it then - "You do things the way you want on your plot (as long as it doesnt impact on other people) and I will do things the way I want on my plot (as long as it doesnt impact on other people)".

So as long as you're not actually doing anything harmful - like using chemicals or having dogs pooing or something - then it's just all down to Personal Decision.

EDIT; I'd add that I've learnt one or two tiny but obvious non-verbal signals I can use in my context that tell people "Don't even start. Keep your mouth shut in the first place if you're going to tell me I'm wrong to do things the normal way I have been for 60 odd years". The vast majority of people "read" the signal I've 'accidentally' left lying around - and don't even start trying to change me.

There must be a gardening equivalent or two you can leave "accidentally" lying around that conveys a perfectly polite but "shut up before you even start trying to change me" signal.
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    We have a half plot that we took over in September. Half of it was fierce weedy but my husband has dug it over and pulled out the bindweed and dandelion roots where he could, and we have covered the whole thing with thick membrane. The plan is to keep that covered for as long as possible, we'll use that half just for squash and potatoes next year and plant them in holes cut out from the membrane. We get free manure and wood chip, so we can enrich and mulch in those target areas.

The other half is less problematic, there's rhubarb and raspberry in place already, and two long bean frames. We inherited some abandoned courgettes that were lovely, a pile of kale, cabbages, runner beans that had a last flourish and rather excitingly we found two cauliflower plants. Small heads on them but considering the plot was abandoned I'm happy! There were loads of dried out runner beans on the frames, so I spent a cheerful morning podding them and have two full jars of dried beans.

For the princely sum of £13 a year it's already paid it's own way with little input from us other than digging, weeding and tidying up.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    fuddle - as money said. Plough your own furrow and the rest of them can keep their sticky beaks out.
    One life - your life - live it!
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2018 at 10:52AM
    Options
    :rotfl: at the phrase "keep their sticky beaks out". That's a new phrase to me - and I might adopt it...:)

Just thinking how I've dealt with the worst offender for trying to tell me what to do (she's actually a friend of mine - in the "recent incomer" category) and she's been very prone to making comments that indicate she thinks I (and presumably herself as well) aren't entitled to express our opinions about things. When I heard the "It's THEIR country" comment from her (ie "...so we're not entitled to our opinions") one too many times then I made the rejoinder of "Mine too...." a few times and that didn't seem to work.

So I then did non verbal language and that did the trick - a barely-concealed grimace of mouth accompanied by barely-concealed eyes rolled at her. She's not that oblivious that she missed the gesture I was only half-trying to conceal and there's been no more "trying to tell me what to do" incidents recently after having to "roll my eyes" a couple of times. I think the message got home to her at last...

So - probably a mouth grimace and an eye roll - which may have to be absolutely open or deliberately only half-concealed but not so fast they don't spot it first (dependant on their grasp - or otherwise - of non-verbal language).

It never used to be part of my repertoire - but I have found eye rolls come in rather useful sometimes...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure