Budapest - Costs and things to see

Options
Hi all
Heading to Budapest at the end of this month never been there before. I was wondering if anybody here had any recommendations for things to see. Mid 30s group of lads going but we are not looking to relive our youth :)

Also any experiences of what things are likely to cost. I have Google prices but they vary so much, I'm thinking Dixon quality meals pints of lager etc.

any feedback would be amazing thank you really looking forward to go
An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......

Comments

• sarah69696pink
    Options
    Found that as with any city prices could vary a lot - depending on area of city and quality of restaurant / bar. Generally best avoiding super touristy things.

Should definitely consider a ruin bar - had great food and drinks in this area.

Also an outdoor thermal spa?
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ruin bar I shall look up. I don't think anyone wants to see me in a Spa :)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Gellert Baths are brilliant.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I enjoyed the Pinball/Flipper Museum:

http://www.flippermuzeum.hu/en/

Margaret Island is worth a visit and a ride around it on the electric scooters (not sure what company I rented them from):

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/margaret-island-budapest-hungary/index.html

https://www.inspirock.com/hungary/budapest/go-mobility-margaret-island-bike-rental-a8271243887

I'd fancied going to a shooting range at some point but didn't think about it when I was in Budapest. This has good reviews on Tripadviser:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274887-d14172278-Reviews-or20-Budapest_Shooting-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Rudas baths, the traditional baths are fab, and the modern pool on the roof with views of the Danube and the city is a must.

http://www.rudasfurdo.hu/kereses

Eating out is reasonable, but go a few streets back from the main tourist areas (especially on the Buda side) and you’ll get great local food really cheap.

Are you interested in history? The communism walking tour is really interesting, then onto a ruin bar after to really appreciate it!
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rudas baths, the traditional baths are fab, and the modern pool on the roof with views of the Danube and the city is a must.

http://www.rudasfurdo.hu/kereses

Eating out is reasonable, but go a few streets back from the main tourist areas (especially on the Buda side) and you’ll get great local food really cheap.

Are you interested in history? The communism walking tour is really interesting, then onto a ruin bar after to really appreciate it!

Yes love history, used to be an archaeologist in my youth, i can be seen very quickly in an episode of time team and another show BBC Time Flyers (only mention these as its the nearest I will ever get to fame ha). The communism tour is on the list so long as my dodgy leg holds up.

Thanks all for the tips
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Yes love history, used to be an archaeologist in my youth, i can be seen very quickly in an episode of time team and another show BBC Time Flyers (only mention these as its the nearest I will ever get to fame ha). The communism tour is on the list so long as my dodgy leg holds up.

Thanks all for the tips

It’s very easy walking, all flat, all on the Pest side. Free but budget for a a decent tip for the guide, they are excellent.

The hospital in the rocks is really interesting too.
  • joebob
    joebob Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    try the beer bikes in freedom square good for a couple of hours .
    we had a walking tour lasted about 3 hours took you to all the tourist places and told you about the history and finished in a local cafe with traditional food,well worth it. Recommend pest-Buda Bistro very good food at reasonable prices 2 courses and 2 drinks approx £13.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The free walking tour is a good way to get your bearings of the city centre and learn some history on your first day. Come the evening the bar scene is as good as anywhere in Europe.

You'll certainly do a lot of walking as the city is huge but if you need to get further out the public transport system is very good.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I arrived late on a Friday and was tired so got a taxi from the airport but took a bus back on the Monday afternoon as it was a fraction of the price. I think that the stop where I boarded was the first and it was rammed so no one could get on at the second stop.

I fancied a tour of parliament but tickets needed to have been booked in advance and there was no availability when I was there so investigate this beforehand if it interests you.

A walk around the castle area is nice. Fisherman’s bastion and Matthias Church are worth the fee imo. Note that getting there by foot requires encountering some steep hills.

St Stephens Basilica is spectacular. I decided to take the stairs rather than the lift. The stairs are seemingly endless but whichever way you get to the top the view is terrific.
    I hate verisimilitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport