MoneySaving tips for disabled people

Options

Comments

• craobhan
    craobhan Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did not know that PIP lower rate mobility can get me 50% off road tax. I have had my PIP for years now. However the instructions in the blog say you need to pay up front. Why does this not apply to those who pay the tax by monthly direct debit? Or does it and there are instructions hidden away somewhere on DVLA website?
  • Radge_Badger
    Options
    Scotrail are now trialling these on the main Edinburgh to Glasgow route, badges available at mainline stations in these towns, according to website.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Blog article is now here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/consumer-rights-and-moneysaving-for-disabled-people/

The 50% tax reduction for standard rate PIP mobility - does that also require the vehicle to be solely for the disabled person's use?
  • Sashahound
    Options
    My neighbour who is registered disabled gets items for the renovation of his sons house vat free. The onus is on the supplier to determine the disabled vat status and to save paperwork the majority of suppliers don't bother to check, let alone HMRC.
  • Chorlie
    Chorlie Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    If you have disabled road tax, you don’t pay the London Congestion Charge

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discounts-and-exemptions
  • JMT67
    Options
    First time I’ve ever posted but just wanted to advise that anyone with a Hidden Disability can obtain a lanyard at Manchester Airport which will aid their journey from departures to arrivals on your return from any trip. Simply go to the Assistance Desk in any terminal.
  • CollinT
    CollinT Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    JMT67 wrote: »
    First time I’ve ever posted but just wanted to advise that anyone with a Hidden Disability can obtain a lanyard at Manchester Airport which will aid their journey from departures to arrivals on your return from any trip. Simply go to the Assistance Desk in any terminal.

Likewise with Heathrow.

Infact if you are due to fly into/out of/or connect at LHR in the next 6 months, Heathrow Assistance will post to you a Sunflower 'Hidden Disability' lanyard in advance of your trip free of charge.

Details here: https://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/assistance-at-heathrow/hidden-disabilities
  • Cherie1w
    Options
    I recently bought new batteries for my mobility scooter from Amazon and when I enquired with the vendor about VAT exemption I was told that because they only trade online they cannot by law offer VAT exemption for disabled customers. The batteries were purposely sold for mobility scooters and wheelchairs and not for general use. Does anyone know if this is correct?
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Cherie1w wrote: »
    I recently bought new batteries for my mobility scooter from Amazon and when I enquired with the vendor about VAT exemption I was told that because they only trade online they cannot by law offer VAT exemption for disabled customers. The batteries were purposely sold for mobility scooters and wheelchairs and not for general use. Does anyone know if this is correct?

In the absence of any other replies, I'm going to go ahead and say that sounds ridiculous - I suggest you ask them to explain exactly what law prevents them from offering VAT exemption. It's easy enough to find the legal basis for VAT exemption so in theory it should be just as easy to cite the basis for their position, if indeed it exists.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback