Damage to gravestone

I've just been advised by the church that my relatives' gravestone has been damaged. Looking at the damage, it looks like something has struck the base of the stone (something about the size of a lawnmower, maybe), and cracked the base in 2 places about 18 inches apart, and then these cracks have carried up vertically into the stone itself.

The stone has been there for 20 years (with no damage) and then was inscribed and re-installed 15 months ago following the death of the spouse.

I'm just not sure how to proceed with this. My initial instinct is just to pay for it to be replaced/fixed. However, do Churches generally have insurance to cover damage to gravestones on their land?
I will be asking the Funeral Director and Stonemason for their thoughts.
Just a bit of a delicate matter, as we have no proof of how the damage occurred and the church is not offering any info. on their opinion of what happened.
Your thoughts would be welcome. Thank you

Comments

• TW1234
    TW1234 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think this is the best forum for such help.
    My thinking would be along the lines of;-
    Who owns the burial plot? Who owns the gravestone? Who, therefore has suffered a quantifiable loss and could that person identify and claim against the person who caused the loss?
    Generally, only the "owner" can insure an item and I would not expect the Church to hold costly "damage insurance." for items in the graveyard, nor would it be likely that the plot holder had arranged any.
    I would not be optimistic, but I wonder if there is any cover from home insurance for items kept away from home?
    Realistically, I would be taking it on the chin.
  • Hello, yes I agree with you (ie taking it on the chin). Thank you for your advice. (I was not sure if this was the right forum, so I'm grateful for you taking the time to answer).
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Who actually owns the gravestone?

Graves and gravestones are owned by the living, probably whoever bought it originally unless they transferred the title to somebody else. If the deceased's executors bought it from estate funds, then title should have been transferred to whomever the Will or intestacy named as beneficiaries.
  • Thanks for your replies. The stonemason has apologised profusely and will be providing a replacement FOC. So the family are very happy it's been resolved in such a way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure