Faulty car.

Options

Comments

• smnb08
    smnb08 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Options
    Erm without sounding rude, I already know I’ve been silly....it’s not very helpful saying “why didn’t I do this & why didn’t I do that” I am where I am, it’s already done!

Just on here really for advice as to if there is anything I can do about this, if not then I’ll accept it and get the car fixed myself.

Thanks.
    sealed pot challenge member #920
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    At £600 you'll not get a car in much of a condition anyway, unless you're lucky or know what to look for. At that price it's a lottery.

Well no, not quite. Regardless of the price, if it's advertised as having no faults then you will be buying it on that basis, whether it's £60 or £6,000,000.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Well no, not quite. Regardless of the price, if it's advertised as having no faults then you will be buying it on that basis, whether it's £60 or £6,000,000.
    I agree, but a £600 car having no faults at the time of sale is quite likely to have faults not long afterwards. That's why it's a lottery.
  • smnb08
    Options
    Are you phoning from the same number each time?
    If so, he may well recognise it which is why he won't answer.
    If so, try a different phone and if he has other cars for sale, he may well pick up.

Thank you.
    He answered when I rang from a different number!
  • smnb08
    Options
    I agree, but a £600 car having no faults at the time of sale is quite likely to have faults not long afterwards. That's why it's a lottery.

So you think that on the basis that I only paid £600 for a car that was advertised as having no faults that it’s acceptable to deliver a car with the head gasket gone?

I’m sorry but you’re wrong....iv just done a quick search on auto trader, cars nationwide for under £500....there’s 8119 listed for sale and that’s just cars under £500!
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    smnb08 wrote: »
    So you think that on the basis that I only paid £600 for a car that was advertised as having no faults that it’s acceptable to deliver a car with the head gasket gone?

I’m sorry but you’re wrong....iv just done a quick search on auto trader, cars nationwide for under £500....there’s 8119 listed for sale and that’s just cars under £500!

Nobody said it was acceptable. Unless you have a very good crystal ball how do you know those cars won't develop faults soon after purchase?
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Nobody said it was acceptable. Unless you have a very good crystal ball how do you know those cars won't develop faults soon after purchase?

Unless I'm reading a different thread, I believe it says that the car was faulty when delivered. It didn't develop the fault soon after.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless I'm reading a different thread, I believe it says that the car was faulty when delivered. It didn't develop the fault soon after.

If you read what Aylesbury Duck said it refers to cars breaking shortly after receiving them which was what the op quoted. I'm merely responding to their response.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    smnb08 wrote: »

Not at all. You've completely misunderstood the point I made. My point was that at £600, it's unlikely that a car is going to remain trouble-free for long. That's not a comment on your rights in your situation, it was a more general comment. If the car was sold to you as 'fault-free', you have a case to reject it.

Why am I wrong? Just because there are 8,119 cars for sale under £500 doesn't mean they're all in good condition and going to last for a long time. When you buy a car for several hundred pounds, you have to budget for expected problems that you probably have less need to budget for on a car priced at several thousand pounds. What's 'wrong' about that?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 September 2019 at 5:05PM
    Options

OP, what was the exact wording of the ad re 'no faults'? No dealer would be stupid enough to claim that on a £600 car. The OP bought it unseen, undriven, and without apparently asking any questions. And paid for it to be delivered, so couldn't have inspected it prior to delivery.
    If it really said that, and has covered no mileage since delivery, then you should reject it under CRA 2015. You need to do this within 30 days, in writing. Forget phoning or texting.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport