MSE News: Average council tax bill in England...

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    CIS wrote: »
    The easiest and quickest way to do it but they are running scared, politically.

Plus all the pension crediters not paying with thousands in the bank!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The one thing I fail to understand is the difference from one area to another in Council Tax Support.
    Where we live they only pay 9% of the bill and yet just 2 miles down the road they pay 25%, ok its 2 different councils but the difference is staggering, almost £4 a week on the lowest band.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    The one thing I fail to understand is the difference from one area to another in Council Tax Support.
    Where we live they only pay 9% of the bill and yet just 2 miles down the road they pay 25%, ok its 2 different councils but the difference is staggering, almost £4 a week on the lowest band.

Its set by each council, so they decide what level of help they offer. A council with a lot of money can afford to subsidise its people living there more, perhaps, than a poorer council.

Or maybe the council is poorer BECAUSE it offers higher discounts to those out of work.

9% of the bill is pretty low, here our non pension age Ctax support is capped at 80%, so the LOWEST anyone would pay is 20% of the bill.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Communities Secretary Sajid Javid said: "Council tax in England is 7.6% lower in real terms than it was when we came to Government and we have introduced a legal right for local taxpayers to veto excessive increases."

What a pack of lies!

It's lower in real terms (higher in hard cash, of course) simply because councils no longer provide most of the services that they used to provide free of charge and now charge for them. And you pay that in addition to your council tax.

They also no longer provide much, if any, care for the elderly, decent education, or proper road maintenance.

Sajid Javid's 'lower in real terms' is a total fiction because of all the extra costs we now have to pay, and that includes all the unnecessary car repairs caused by the third world road network that this government has landed us with.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    t's lower in real terms (higher in hard cash, of course) simply because councils no longer provide most of the services that they used to provide free of charge and now charge for them. And you pay that in addition to your council tax.

I think you have summed up the situation quite clearly. There is a wholesale change in the way the government views its obligations.

For example, the I've commented on Mortgage Support where it appears that your pay into a national "insurance" scheme and you find the rules of insurance are movable. We end up not collecting an insurance pay-out but a further loan. Not like any normal insurance scheme but that is the system we voted for.

It is up to each individual to decide if the new way is better than the old way. I make no assumptions about personal circumstances as I have been lucky in life as it is a lottery.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    Plus all the pension crediters not paying with thousands in the bank!

Pension Credit is treated now as Income Support and you are required to notify the DWP of any increase in income or capital.

Yes I agree in the past once on Pension Credit you could win the lottery and still get your Pension Credit payments.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Within 15 years, Council Tax, if it still exists in its present form, will normalise to mortgage like proportions for I suspect, the majority of homeowners. So my current £150 per month that goes out to Council Tax on top of my monthly mortgage payment, will undoubtedly double. I fully expect to be getting ripped off to the tune of at least £300 per calender month by 2030. Council Tax will never decrease, it will increase significantly for most. It doesn't get more depressing I'm afraid and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I suspect and have even read stuff to support the suspicion that by 2021/22 the rate support grant will have been abolished (thats the amount the govt gives to councils) and these "higher" increases will be the norm for the next 3 years and beyond.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd stick some more bands on top.

While somebody living in a Band A bedsit/1-bed tiny house might be paying one whole month's take home pay to the council tax .... I doubt that the £2million super-mansion in Band H up the road is paying a whole month's household income to council tax, it'll be just a drop in their vast ocean of funds.

Add I and J on top for "really bigguns".

Proportionately, the single/low income households shoulder a lot of the burden.
    Also, I'd add a surcharge for households with more than 2 adults (i.e. houseshares).

A four bedroom Band D property could be housing a family with three children with only one income from the parents, whereas it could also be housing four (or more) adults with four salaries.

In fact, let's just scrap council tax altogether and increase the cost of general taxation to cover it (income tax, capital gains, corporation and VAT).
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    We have 'I' bands here, the amount for the year (including the payment to police) is £2842.00

We’ve just moved from West Devon. A band H property is max £3800, no band I or J mentioned. One of the most expensive in the country. I understand the reason is partly down to being very rural with low population. A lot of Dartmoor is in West Devon, very few people with no large gowns to boost the number of people paying. We never got any more for our money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure