Buying a car

Options
My girlfriend has a budget of £1500 to buy an automatic car to get out and about with our newborn son more easily whilst I'm at work.

She is looking for something small ie VW polo or Skoda Fabia but with her budget there isn't many automatic cars around for under £1500 so I'm thinking of getting a car on HP. I am able to contribute £110 a month if we go down the HP option.

What is the best option buying a car nowadays? HP, lease or outright?

I am thinking if we bought a car under £1500 it might be expensive to maintain in the long run then it would if we bought a car that has low millage, and no more then 2 years old.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 April 2018 at 9:00AM
    Options
    Cash works.

I buy high mileage cars for £2000 and run then for 5 years or so with little expenses.

A £1500 car needs a service just the same as a £10,000 car. It will only be expensive to maintain if you buy poorly. Right car at the right price.... But servicing and condition is 10000000%%%% more important than what colour or what trim etc etc..

A newer car will just depreciate more. The bills are still there...

Just check all the threads where the cars broken and they are still paying the finance. But cannot pay the finance and fix it.

Autotrader currently have over 2000 sub £1500 automatic cars showing..
    Where is the shortage?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    Options
    Unless she must have an automatic (auto only license or mobility problems) then I'd strongly encourage getting a manual - cheaper, much more choice.

There should be plenty of choices around £1500, but you may find that even going to say, £3000 by borrowing the other £1500 (<£100/month over 2 years) will give you a lot more options.

But buy purely on condition - has it been looked after? Has it been maintained? Service history? Are the tyres the same?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, might be worth you asking around family and friends and seeing if anyone is selling a reasonably priced car - if you know the history of a car, and it's owner, more chance of it not being a lemon. Even the best car dealer in the world will only know the short history of any car they sell, and for the budget you are at, you aren't going to be entitled to guaranteed trouble free motoring from any car you buy.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 April 2018 at 11:49AM
    Options
    I'd buy for £500-£1000 (depending on the car) and keep £500-£1000 towards possible repairs - if it don't need much, you're quids-in :)
    and for the budget you are at, you aren't going to be entitled to guaranteed trouble free motoring from any car you buy.

no you're not, but neither are you guaranteed a lemon, and no matter how high you spend you're not guaranteed trouble-free motoring, even new & expensive cars have problems.

Condition & test-drive are more important, especially so at lower prices :)

edit - a quick look at autotrader unearthed this, for example:-

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804245877254?price-to=1000&onesearchad=Used&radius=1500&transmission=Automatic&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-asc&postcode=ll114hz&page=2
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With your girlfriend's budget, I think there are many great options. For your information, Japanese used car is very cheap, you can choose favorite used cars for sale under $1000 = 827 (not yet including tax) (example site: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. If a used car passes inspection, it means its condition is very good.

As this is a UK site it is no use quoting prices in dollars and referring to American sites.
  • DidierAubin87
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    As this is a UK site it is no use quoting prices in dollars and referring to American sites.

Actually, this used car site is from Japan. You still can choose UK currency to know the total price :)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    Options
    Curious what your going to get for under £1500 delivered from Japan and have any modifications required to pass a UK MOT.

Unless the OP was after something specific and extremely rare then buying an unseen car from Japan should be avoided.

Adding £700 for shipping wont buy much of a car.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• dresdendave
    dresdendave Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Curious what your going to get for under £1500 delivered from Japan and have any modifications required to pass a UK MOT.

Unless the OP was after something specific and extremely rare then buying an unseen car from Japan should be avoided.

Adding £700 for shipping wont buy much of a car.

Not to mention the 15,000 mile drive there and back if you need any repairs under warranty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure