PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Extend Your Lease guide discussion

Options

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    da_rule wrote: »
    That doesn't matter, he would probably have to buy himself out of the contract with the third party.

In terms of how it is calculated, you simply add all of the yearly ground rents together (including the increases) to get a sum. So if there was 10 years left (ignore the marriage value implications) and the ground rent was £50 doubling each year the rents would be:
    £50
    £100
    £200
    £400
    £800
    £1600
    £3200
    £6400
    £12800
    £25600

Therefore the amount to be added the the premium would be the sum of all this (which I make to be around £51,000). So for yours you need to just work out how much ground rent is due over the remainder of the lease based on the ground rent increases.

That's not correct.

You have to apply a discount rate to future ground rent payments - it's a bit like the inverse of an interest rate, or an inflation rate.

I'm no expert on this, but I believe the discount rate that's often used may be 7% per year.

So if your lease says you have to make a ground rent payment of £10,000 for the year 2117 (i.e. in 100 years), that's equivalent to paying your freeholder compensation of £11.52 today.

And if you have to make a ground rent payment of £10,000 for the year 2217 (i.e. in 200 years), that's equivalent to 1.3p today.
  • miller3653
    Options
    That sounds better!!! I will take it up with an expert in the field to help take this forward and give me n accurate valuation, but I really welcome the input.
  • Daywalk3r
    Options
    Hi all.

Grateful for your advice. We've got 97 years left on our ex-council flat in East London. Not quite sure how many years we'll stay before selling and moving out ..maybe in about 6 years time in 2024 when we'll have 90 years left on our lease.

Is it worth it for us to apply for a lease extension now or wont it make much difference to the selling price when/if we sell in about 2024 with 90 years still left?

Thanks
  • strawberries1
    Options
    I'm in the middle of purchasing a property with GR doubling every 25yrs with 120yrs left. For the next 20years of the Term £250 per annum
    For the next 25years of the Term £500 per annum
    For the next 25years of the Term £1000 per annum
    For the next 25years of the Term £2000 per annum
    For the remainder of the Term £4000 per annum

This info came up at the enquirires state ie after my offer. The surveyour suggests I ask for a reduction if I still want to go ahead.
  • BenRobinson20
    Options
    Hi,

We are first time buyers looking to buy in London. We are looking at a £400,000 ex local authority flat with a £10 ground rent.

The lease has 97 years remaining on it. General guidance we have been given has been not to look at flats with less than 100 years left on the lease. Which appears to be easier said than done with our budget in London.

My question is - is this in the territory where the lease length will begin to cause us problems if we looked to sell in say 5-7 years? Given the size of our mortgage I don't want to be putting ourselves in additional risk.

Thanks
    Ben
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unless you can negotiate a long lease before you buy you will end up paying a small fortune once you become the "owner". (Remember you are not the owner, you are basically renting.) I think the recommended minimum term is 125 years.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm in the middle of purchasing a property with GR doubling every 25yrs with 120yrs left. For the next 20years of the Term £250 per annum
    For the next 25years of the Term £500 per annum
    For the next 25years of the Term £1000 per annum
    For the next 25years of the Term £2000 per annum
    For the remainder of the Term £4000 per annum

This info came up at the enquirires state ie after my offer. The surveyour suggests I ask for a reduction if I still want to go ahead.
    Probably because if you default on your groundrent payment the freeholder can repossess your flat when the groundrent is £250 a year (nice law!). That is one reason why they do it, hoping to catch you out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you buy a leasehold property you do not own it, the freeholder owns it. Leasehold has become toxic, especially when it is a house.

[FONT=&quot]The biggest issue is the existence of leasehold itself and how it affects people already on leases past and present. Millions are trapped into an ever declining asset when their lease term is less than 99 years and they find they can't afford to buy the freehold. When they bought their house, most people had no idea that Leasehold made them a tenant and that the landowner could and would eventually take their from home from them. I think most of them just thought it meant you had pay some groundrent. Nobody told them the reality otherwise who would buy a house on those terms! The law has been slightly modified after scandals in the 60s when many homes were legally but unjustly repossessed, supposedly redressing this imbalance but in fact the landlord still wins every time as the costs involved in disputes are enormous and many ordinary people cannot afford them. The leaseholder for example has to pay the freeholders legal bills!! [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And now recently a new level of exploitation and imbalance has been created by builders selling leasehold homes rather than freehold with costs and clauses that are unnecessary and costly, with huge new groundrents that increase over time and make the house unsellable. In addition there are clauses demanding large payments for making even small alterations to your own home. And the final scam is the selling of the said freeholds to investment companies that then demand even more money and an outrageously inflated new price for buying the freehold that new home buyers thought they could buy after 2 years. It is all "legal" but grotesquely unjust, exploitative and must end. Leasehold must be abolished as it has been in Scotland.[/FONT]

https://www.ft.com/content/d284bf04-e472-11e6-8405-9e5580d6e5fb
    https://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/leasehold-houses-last-got-scandal-ground-rents-nations-consciousness-much-worse

https://www.ft.com/content/d284bf04-e472-11e6-8405-9e5580d6e5fb
    https://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/leasehold-houses-last-got-scandal-ground-rents-nations-consciousness-much-worse
  • GTG
    GTG Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2017 at 12:05AM
    Options
    Hi Ben,

You should not have any problem selling a leasehold flat with good title until the lease is approaching an unexpired term of less than 80 years. I say a problem but even then it is not a problem, please read on.

To extend a lease that has less than 80 years to expiry incurs what is called a "marriage value" In this case, the leaseholder has to compensate the freeholder with the loss of 50% of the difference between what the flat would be valued as if it was leasehold property and the diminished value of a short lease. Also, owing to this, the number of lenders begins to decline as the lease runs down. Some lenders will not lend at all below 70 years, It follows that competitive deals on mortgages also decline. I am not up to date with the mortgage industry but I think it will be a safe bet to say that 65 and below then no mortgage will be available. Not that this will affect you of course.

You should be fine if you plan to sell in 5-7 years time. The ground rent of £10 is excellent and if there is a clause to escalate this unreasonably then if your solicitor is doing his/her job properly he/she will advise you. I would advise anyone buying a leasehold property to do their due diligence on their prospective landlord to see if they have any "form" i.e. unfair treatment of leaseholders. Having said that, in my opinion, local authorities are probably the safest organization to have as your landlord. We probably all abhor how inefficient and corrupt they are but they will comply with the law with regard to being a landlord. In the unlikely event that they stray, then as a council tax payer, you will have the system of local government democracy should soon bring them back on track. Not to mention your statutory rights as a long leaseholder.

Lastly, people become victims of rogues in any industry but more often than not the common theme as to why is because they fail to invest a little time in doing some due diligence. Just as you are doing here Ben. Some people would rather spend more time watching soaps or x-factor etc on the telly than on due diligence on a purchase that is going to take a substantial percentage of their salary over the subsequent 25 years.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If its a LA landlord watch out for any expensive repairs being planned
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business