'Lost' Royal Mail Parcel

Options
The Background: Royal Mail has 'lost' a parcel that they tried to deliver to my home. The postie left one of those familiar red cards stating I could collect the parcel from my local sorting office - but apart from my address and the postie's initials, the card has no other information on it (usually there is a code which allows the card to be paired with the item at the sorting office). The office staff say that without the missing information they can't trace my parcel.

The Problem: After three visits to the sorting office over the course of a week, I am still clueless about the whereabouts of my parcel and the efforts being made to find it. Twice I have been promised a call from the sorting office manager that hasn't materialised. The counter staff say they can't identify the initials written on the red card and that my parcel could be anywhere - maybe true, but definitely not very helpful to be told this!

Are there any posties on here that could advise me how to 'encourage' the sorting office staff to make more of an effort to either find my parcel, track the postie responsible, or simply force them into closing this case to enable me to make a claim.?At the moment I am in limbo and I get the impression that no one at the office concerned gives a damn.

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After fifteen days make a claim for a lost parcel.

This RM article should help you.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP you mention a code, do you mean a tracking reference? I've never had a code for a parcel that wasn't tracked - just a card with minimum details such as first line of my address and if i'm lucky, the correct surname.

If it was tracked and you were the recipient, is this perhaps an item you purchased (and therefore might be better off contacting the retailer or your card company)?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Sorting offices vary wildly, some have modern computerised systems so they know the exact location of every item, some seem to just chuck items onto shelves with no logic at all.

Many postal routes will have a regular postie so ask the sorting office to check with them if this is the case. Really you just need to kick up a fuss so they have a proper look, go at a quiet time and they will probably be more willing to spend time looking.

I'd suggest you wait the standard 18 days that they hold items for then go back to check if your item has found its way into the pile of uncollected items to be returned to sender. If not, then make a claim as suggested.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    These have been a spate of fake cards being posted encouraging people to phone a premium rate number, are you certain yours is genuine? It was on the news either last week or the week before.

As for the tracking number, the cards are generic for all parcels but the only time a tracking number will ever be added is if it is the peel off sticker on a signed for or special delivery. Even then it is not really needed. What do you mean by minimal information? What part of the card other than tracking hasn't been completed? You say it has your address and posties initials, what about the boxes to say whether it is at the collection office, with a neighbour, or in a safe place? Has that been completed? Could it be with a neighbour rather than collection office? Have they filled in the bit with number and type of item/s on the back?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 September 2017 at 7:32AM
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    These have been a spate of fake cards being posted encouraging people to phone a premium rate number, are you certain yours is genuine? It was on the news either last week or the week before.

As for the tracking number, the cards are generic for all parcels but the only time a tracking number will ever be added is if it is the peel off sticker on a signed for or special delivery. Even then it is not really needed. What do you mean by minimal information? What part of the card other than tracking hasn't been completed? You say it has your address and posties initials, what about the boxes to say whether it is at the collection office, with a neighbour, or in a safe place? Has that been completed? Could it be with a neighbour rather than collection office? Have they filled in the bit with number and type of item/s on the back?

The OP is referring to the SPS system.
    When undelivered parcels come back they are keyed into a computer system by name/address/product/barcode)if present)
    This then generates a sticker with a reference number.
    Packages are stored in numerical order of these labels.

When you go to collect.
    They input your card details,the system tells you the number and this is how the package is located.

Like the one below (this relates to a charge item,but is logged by the same system)

Surcharge%2Bnumbered%2Blabel.png

OP,the down side of this system vs old.
    Items can be 'anywhere'
    Items arent kept by street name,surname,type or whatever.
    Realistically somebody has to manually go through every parcel to fully confirm the item is or isnt there.
    Go through customer services or Twitter to kick things in action.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My local office doesn't have that system yet, everything is just taken in and put on a shelf corresponding to the surname, no system at all for logging it back in other than scanning items that can be scanned as ready for collection.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    My local office doesn't have that system yet, everything is just taken in and put on a shelf corresponding to the surname, no system at all for logging it back in other than scanning items that can be scanned as ready for collection.

only larger offices have the system.
    Often alongside Sunday opening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family