PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Kittie, I may have missed a crucial point, but why are you moving?

Your existing house sounds like it's about 8 out of 10. Could you not fit a shower downstairs where you are?

FTA: My next door neighbour partitioned the hall, so the downstairs loo became a bathroom. Would that work in your house?

Buses, shop, surgery, lovely and quiet for cycling safely in many beautiful lanes, active village with a hall and activities like film nights. That area will be perfect for me, I have to forget all that we put into this house and am ready to start again, it is a good thing to do after recovering from a bereavement, making ones own life. I`ll be able to keep my allotment. I will be joining a group of older ladies in a weeks or so, they do trips and meet for coffee in the hall. I already know a few so will have a ready made community, all close by

I dozed off for a little while and decided to carry on, to fill my car, so all my bird feeding equipment is going to the re-use area. The shed looks fab now, very tidy and organised and I am so pleased with the solar lights, very bright in there
  • Perplexed_Pineapple
    Options
    Evening all.
    I've been reading some quite scary articles about the impact of climate change. I don't think there is anything we can to do prevent these scenarios occurring if the science is correct.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/09/this-is-how-your-world-could-end-climate-change-global-warming

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2006/jul/26/science.g2

In prepping terms, these problems are still decades away, but we need to try to equip our children and grandchildren with resilience and adaptability beyond what our generations have needed. Still, I'm optimistic that human ingenuity will find solutions. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    bird feeding equipment wanted by dd, woo hoo. It took me a long time to find such good feeders, unpacked from car just in time. Hopefully from now on it will be a bit less strenuous work here
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Karmakat I've never heard of the Gaia hypothesis but I know damn fine the earth is a living self-regulating organism and we've derailed it.
    Absolutely, mar, it makes sense, doesn't it - but he was the one to collect *evidence* for it, and use it to support a scientific hypothesis, and that was at least 30 years ago (he's in his 90s now).

Prepping note: with all the probate work and looking after my own finances in my "new" situation, I thought I'd update the notebook in my "bug out to hotel" bag - and found that, because I did it maybe 3 years ago, and I haven't updated quite as meticulously as I thought I had :o:o:o I'm starting again:
    - there have been deaths in the family.
    - people have sold some houses, and bought others.
    - some accounts have been cashed in, others opened.
    - financial firms have changed names and merged.

So I'm typing it out, and printing in as concise a way as possible. I'll store the document on a little flash drive, not my normal computer, so if the computer's ever stolen, my stuff is still safe.

And it's up to date :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am prepping ahead financially now and making a very serious effort to save or to not spend. M/S money is so helpful for this and I can see the amount I will have ahead, which further encourages me to not spend. At the same time it does help me to prep my freezer for a move, ie eat freezer food, I think I will have at least six months, maybe more if no suitable property appears on the horizon
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    You'll get strong fingers if you do!

I did typing at evening classes (a neighbour's front room with desks and big upright typewriters) - we had to type in time to music which got faster as we all improved our speed. :)

Oh, here's a bit of synchronicity:

My local Oxfam shop has a manual typewriter in the window. Should I buy it? (Reluctant as my house is full of junk already. :) )
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Oh, here's a bit of synchronicity:

My local Oxfam shop has a manual typewriter in the window. Should I buy it? (Reluctant as my house is full of junk already. :) )

Can you still get ribbons for them? Not much use without. :(
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I had one of those typewriters way back when. Mine was about 2nd World War vintage.

But I would echo checking you can get ribbons for them still first. I'm guessing that maybe somewhere on Amazon one could find a source of supply - but you do need to check first.

I dont know what vintage the one you saw is? But I have seen ones of as old a vintage as I used to have used as sorta "industrial ornaments" in recent times (rather than being bought for use iyswim).
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Can you still get ribbons for them? Not much use without. :(

There's a variety of them on Amazing, in the £3 - £4 range.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure