EBid

Options
What's the current status of Ebid? I mean the popularity and feasibility of using the platform, not just whether it's still running or not?

Some years ago I made a concerted effort to use ebid, and bought a DVD and a book and perhaps a couple of other things. But, it was just too hard finding anything to buy.

Do we still get people arriving in this forum to talk up ebid and describe the forum as growing rapidly? (Which it never seemed to do.)

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to buy things from Ebid to sell for a profit on Ebay.

Not sure if this statistic on their website is true, but if it is then a lot of people seem to think its a viable alternative to Ebay.

NEW LISTINGS IN LAST 24HRS
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 September 2017 at 11:31AM
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I used to buy things from Ebid to sell for a profit on Ebay.

Not sure if this statistic on their website is true, but if it is then a lot of people seem to think its a viable alternative to Ebay.

NEW LISTINGS IN LAST 24HRS

Would those 68,076 listings include automatic renewals? Or is that all new products?

As an example, I searched on 'Bass guitar' on ebid. I found five bass guitars (actual instruments, not bits). All five were pretty much similar things, all were being sold by the same seller, and the seller is in Portugal.

Just one sample product, but this looks not a bit improved from the situation I remember from years ago. Perhaps even worse.

EDIT: Searched on 'Racing Bicycle', then selected the category for actual bicycles. Three.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it is what it is and doesn't seem to have moved. It's the steady small corner shop of marketplaces. It's almost as old as Ebay in the UK.
    I've never seen or heard of any kind of marketing from them. My thought is that they are plodding along in the now vain hope that a big company would give them a few million for their infrastructure and name.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to follow the forums and noticed that regulars were beginning to drop away and the fact we haven't had it mentioned here for a while suggests it has finally given up a bit. Yes they advertise a lot of listings, but when you look for sold listings, and it is hard to do that, nothing actually sells.

The number of listings is immaterial, all that matters is what actually sells.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    68,076 listing, 6 new ones and 68,070 continuous auto relists?

0 sold?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure