Know your Onions!

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Tesco have onions in plastic bags same price as the loose. If you checked the quality of those in the netting you would see they are a different product. I always buy the cheaper onions but some people may prefer a better onion.
    The netted ones tend to be larger onions in better conditions than the loose

Which is why I always buy the netted

Although I generally agree that shoppers have to be mindful of the price per kg, onions currently are an exception.

For onions you aren't comparing like with like OP. The bags of basic onions used be a good substitute for the ones in nets often marketed as Spanish onions IIRC. However in recent months, because of weather conditions, the basic onions are really tiny not much larger than pickling onions or shallots. So if you want a large onion with minimum wastage you have to pay a higher price.

Or you might want to buy frozen, chopped onions at (on average) £2 per kg. No waste and saves a lot of tears!;)
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also somebody has to provide the nets & there is the cost to put them in the nets.
  • arnoldy
    arnoldy Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ‘Pre- packaged fruit and veg is always more expensive than loose’
    No. Not necessarily. When items are pre-packaged they are often well over their stated weight making the per Kg price cheaper than lose.
    Sometimes the loose and packaged price per Kg is the same (example Tesco Sweet Potatoes at 1GBP/Kg). In that case it is always worth going pre-packaged as you get over 1Kg in packet.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    arnoldy wrote: »
    ‘Pre- packaged fruit and veg is always more expensive than loose’
    No. Not necessarily. When items are pre-packaged they are often well over their stated weight making the per Kg price cheaper than lose.
    Sometimes the loose and packaged price per Kg is the same (example Tesco Sweet Potatoes at 1GBP/Kg). In that case it is always worth going pre-packaged as you get over 1Kg in packet.
    I am yet to see that. They are legally allowed to have a magin or error of somewhere around 10-20% but most of the time they are below or on the mark. I say this as someone with 25 years of personal supermarket shopping experience!
  • Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    I am yet to see that. They are legally allowed to have a magin or error of somewhere around 10-20% but most of the time they are below or on the mark. I say this as someone with 25 years of personal supermarket shopping experience!

Be assured there is no margin of error on underweight. I say that as someone who has been packing various products for the retailers for well over 30 years.
    If you have purchased below the weight claimed then you are a mug.
    There is no way a supplier would risk packing a pre pack below the weight stated.
    Smaller sized product is used in pre packs as it is easier to get close to the minimum weight rather than giving too much away.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Teahfc wrote: »
    Be assured there is no margin of error on underweight. I say that as someone who has been packing various products for the retailers for well over 30 years.
    If you have purchased below the weight claimed then you are a mug.
    There is no way a supplier would risk packing a pre pack below the weight stated.
    Smaller sized product is used in pre packs as it is easier to get close to the minimum weight rather than giving too much away.
    My bold, I sometimes find half a carrot bunged in the prepack, as a "make weight", which reinforces the point made, not going to give me whole small carrot "free" just a manky no use piece of carrot:(
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    My bold, I sometimes find half a carrot bunged in the prepack, as a "make weight", which reinforces the point made, not going to give me whole small carrot "free" just a manky no use piece of carrot:(

It’s not manky just peels and cuts and cooks and tastes the same :)
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's always like this. Any two identical products in the same shop, presented in a different format, will vary in price.... it's always been so.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Teahfc wrote: »
    It’s not manky just peels and cuts and cooks and tastes the same :)

I never saw you peering over my shoulder, are you monitoring my kitchen?:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • arnoldy
    arnoldy Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes the overweight in some pre packed is not significant but still important to work out the per Kg price. Today I brought 300g lamb chops. Actual weight was 353g. But in future when they close the meat counter in the supermarket we won't have to choose between loose (counter) and pre packed anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure