Contractor Asking For UTR - Loosing The Plot!

Options

Comments

• Samsung_Note2
    Options
    No, a UTR is strictly nothing to do with being self employed.

It stands for Unique Taxpayer Reference and is the reference number people use to file their self assessment tax returns under (so is used by self employed people but lots of people who aren't self employed have to file self assessment tax returns will have a UTR).

You can register as self employed today. Doubt very much it will take "months" for you to get your UTR

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

Sorry but who else other than self employed people would have a UTR.

Im self employed and im always asked my UTR when working as such..and when PAYE asked for NI number.

UTR is strictly nothing to do with being self employed....really.?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not self employed and I have a UTR number, most of our employees have UTR numbers, it's nothing to do with being self employed.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Yes, really. It's issued to anyone who has registered for SA or set up a Limited Company, which is a considerably wider pool than just the self employed.

https://www.gov.uk/find-lost-utr-number
  • YellowNinja
    YellowNinja Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 17 April 2018 at 7:44AM
    Options
    Just a follow up, just got off the phone to them for the 1000th time this month and they are absolutely refusing to pay me my money.

The are saying they will hold back all payment until I give them my UTR which they know I don't have yet. Out of general principle I will not give it to them, as no law requires me to register for self assessment for an X amount of time. And even if I did, no law requires me to give it to them!

Conveniently, they failed to ask for any of this before actually carrying out any work, but once I did, 'sorry, we can't pay you.' This is beyond unethical and is obviously intentional. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

If the law does not require it how can they demand it and withhold my money? This is total bull! Better yet, do THEY have any legal standing doing what they are doing? This is the £1,500 question. I spoke to all three senior managers who are telling me they can hold back my money by law. What is this nonsense?!

I've talked to so many drivers and none of them have ever heard of anything like this! I've just returned my van back to the rental firm a few days ago anyway, as I've had it.

A friend told me he spends half his working life chasing up unpaid invoices! Forget this! I'm going to renew my S.I.A license and go back on the payroll WHAT THE HELL!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not just give them the UTR number or you do a letter before action and go to small claims court.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or make up a UTR, if they don't really need it then they won't have any way to confirm whether it's correct or not. Although I suspect it may only be an excuse to continue to delay payment, and it might be better to go directly to small claims now.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    Options
    Just issue a small claim against them through the moneyclaimonline service.

Issue a letter before action now giving them 14 days to pay, then issue the court proceedings when the 14 days are up.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    Options

Im self employed and im always asked my UTR when working as such..and when PAYE asked for NI number.

I've never been self-employed yet I have a UTR.
    All a UTR does is allow one to do annual tax returns online.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Derwent
    Derwent Posts: 571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are absolutely correct to ask for your UTR number. This is to indemnify themselves in case you do not declare your earnings and pay over any tax due to HMRC. Companies engaging freelance contractors must demonstrate that they have taken all reasonable steps to make sure that the contractor is registered properly otherwise they can become liable for any unpaid tax by the contractor. If you are properly registered you can get a UTR from HMRC in a couple of days.
    Its amazing how these banks can't even do simple calculations correctly..............
  • bairn7
    bairn7 Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If you need to submit a self-assessment return for any reason then you need a UTR in order to do so.

The following circumstances required the submission of a self-assessment return (and therefore require a UTR).

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/who-must-send-a-tax-return
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport