can i appeal my penalty?

Options
So I was given a penalty fare notice of 185 travelling from leicester to st pancras. Now my issue was, i paid for my tickets and have the payment email to confirm, however i was using the mobile format ticket and this however was not working. The inspector asked my to load my emails as proof I had purchased a ticket and without even waiting for them to load he said im writing you a penalty notice. At which point i stated that he tustve had some sort of issue with me as i had valid proof of purchase on my email. He then brought through a fellow female colleague who was even more arrogant, and she stated that she would now be filming me on her pocket camera, which made me even more irritated as i felt like a criminal but I know I paid for my tickets. Can i appeal this?

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes you can.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    s3339 wrote: »
    So I was given a penalty fare notice of 185 travelling from leicester to st pancras. Now my issue was, i paid for my tickets and have the payment email to confirm, however i was using the mobile format ticket and this however was not working. The inspector asked my to load my emails as proof I had purchased a ticket and without even waiting for them to load he said im writing you a penalty notice. At which point i stated that he tustve had some sort of issue with me as i had valid proof of purchase on my email. He then brought through a fellow female colleague who was even more arrogant, and she stated that she would now be filming me on her pocket camera, which made me even more irritated as i felt like a criminal but I know I paid for my tickets. Can i appeal this?

So you couldn't show them proof.Seems fair enough.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure about that line, but could it be that you were in the middle of nowhere and thus had no mobile data internet connection? They might have simply grown impatient waiting for you to load it up (particularly if other people need checking).

Anyways, there should be a way of appealing it and one would assume that presenting your evidence will clear the matter up.

First port of call, I would say, is the service provider (the rail company).
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is why you screenshot your tickets...
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Feels like there's more to that story
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No matter what type of ticket you have, it's your responsibility to be able to produce them on demand - that is kind of the point of them. Proof of purchase doesn't prove that you haven't already used them / kept them for use another time / passed them to someone else / refunded them etc.
  • s3339 wrote: »

Duplicate thread
  • And another!
    s3339 wrote: »
  • Last time I went up Norff to Derby, they collected a few penalty fares because people had no tickets, or the wrong ticket. Mine on my phone was accepted no problem, and I had paper copies just in case! Simple!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure