We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Can I save 3 small Dicksonia Antartica?

Options
stupidly left out our 3 small ferns over winter, totally forgot they were at thr ottom of the garden, and now they look a real sorry state. Is there anyting I can do (other than be a better tree parent) to rescue them?

They're only about a foot tall each, but im hoping they live or can be nursed back to health?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They will probably re-sprout. Just let them dry off a bit, but not in a hot place, keep them from any more frost and see how it goes.

Mine survive in a polytunnel and take a few degrees of frost if covered with some fleece. Occasionally I'm a bit lax, forget to cover them and they lose most of their tops, but they bounce back.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Per above let them dry off in the shade and if you are expecting any more frosts cover the crowns with fleece. Mine are fleece covered every year from end of nov until beginning of march.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks people 🙂
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts