Outrageous plumbing charges, n incompetent engineer

Options
I'm going to try n keep this short, as it's a long saga.
Basically I rang a company last week, to fix my gas fire. They assured me they'd be able to do it that day, n sent a gas engineer out.He came in , looked at the fire for ages, n faffed around with the batteries in the ignition box, then charged me an hours labour plus vat, n said he was off to get the a new ignition box part, n would be back in an hour.He didn't return, n the office was shut when I rang.
The next day I rang, n they said I'd have to order my own part from the manufacturer!!! I queried this, but was assured this was normal.I ordered it, n it came 5 days later, n they came to fit the part .
This time a different guy took 2 hours faffing around, n said it wasn't the ignition box that was needed, but an injector.
We are now up to 3 hours labour plus parts!!
My issue is that they have my card details, and I have an issue with the fact the first engineer misdiagnosed the fault, therefore they shouldn't be charging me for that initial hour .
I know I've been naive, but trusted them when they said they'd be able to sort it the first day.
Is there anyway I can stop them taking more money from my credit card, until the issues are resolved? :(
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D

Comments

• Jumblebumble
    Options
    Have they actually fixed the fault?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    and

(This is not instant messaging)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have they actually fixed the fault?

No! They were meant to be coming with a new part today, but it's not arrived:( 11 days now since the first guy came out!:(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    and

(This is not instant messaging)

n agreed
  • Gary123456790
    Options
    I would tell them to forget it and not come back, get someone else to fix it.

Once it is working, you can think about how best to get some money back from the first company.
  • Dean000000
    Options
    depends really on what terms you called them out on...

diagnose & treat is only as good as the diagnosis.... The first engineer may not have misdiagnosed (im not an expert) but may have only been half the fault, with the only way to find out by solving that one first...

example - kettle no boiling (plug is broken) replace plug

Now its turned on, turns out the element has gone too...

that's my view anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport