New boiler installation

Options
bluedove
bluedove Posts: 228 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My 15 year old Brittony combi is on its last legs, cant even get cover for it any more and its constantly leaking water.

Im now looking to get a new boiler installed, home is a 3 bed mid terrace house, i live just outside of Norwich.

Preferable option will be monthly payment as cant afford the upfront cost.

Any suggestions of cheap affordable boiler installation will be highly appreciated.
Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 April 2018 at 2:46PM
    Options
    'Twas about this time of year, two years ago when I had to buy a new boiler. I found British Gas had a sale on whereby their boilers' prices were reduced by 50% so it might be worth checking them out. The installation was still full price but it saved me £550, I think.

Certainly it is always advisable to get three quotes so perhaps try them and two local independent Gas Safe registered engineers. We found our go-to plumber/gas fitter could not quite match BG's price due to their sale but we still use him for everything else.

HTH.

Afterthought: If you receive certain benefits, you might qualify for a free boiler; please see here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Options
    Beware companies offering you their boiler cover or servicing as a tie-in to getting boiler installed by them.

Homeserve and British Gas are good options for a starting benchmark price. Warranties offered vary massively between different manufacturers, do some research on this if you're bothered. Don't confuse manufacturers warranty with "boiler care" products offered by the installers.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    British Gas are normally ludicrously expensive.

My brother needed a new boiler a few months ago. Local company quoted £1500 for boiler and installation. British Gas quoted £1500 for the boiler (ridiculous price) plus £1800 for installation. :eek:
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A little advice-dont buy cheap when it comes to central heating and in particular, boiler changes.

First thing is of course, not all boilers are the same and there is a good reason why some are much cheaper than others.

Choose your installer carefully. Check his gas safe registration to ensure it is current. If possible use an approved installer for your brand to get better guarantees. Ensure system is cleansed before and after installation and a filter is fitted.

Poor water quality post installation will kill a new boiler stone dead in months.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    A little advice-dont buy cheap when it comes to central heating and in particular, boiler changes.

First thing is of course, not all boilers are the same and there is a good reason why some are much cheaper than others.

Choose your installer carefully. Check his gas safe registration to ensure it is current. If possible use an approved installer for your brand to get better guarantees. Ensure system is cleansed before and after installation and a filter is fitted.

Poor water quality post installation will kill a new boiler stone dead in months.

Just to add that in the example of my brother (above) the two quotes were for the same boiler and the local company only had Gas Safe registered engineers.

British Gas are rip-off merchants.
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Just to add that in the example of my brother (above) the two quotes were for the same boiler and the local company only had Gas Safe registered engineers.

British Gas are rip-off merchants.

I will say that BG do quote higher than most. I would get as close as possible like for like fully specified quotes from several manuf approved installers and then approach BG for a quote for as close as possible like for like.

If you can get the same kit installed by BG for only an acceptable premium ,go for it. Dont be afraid to beat down the salesman. If he/she is having none of it, leave it.

Using a manuf approved installer often buys you extra assurances and extended warranties,,check the T&Cs.

Buy cheap,buy twice..!
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    I will say that BG do quote higher than most. I would get as close as possible like for like fully specified quotes from several manuf approved installers and then approach BG for a quote for as close as possible like for like.

Why bother? British Gas affiliated engineers are no better at fitting boilers than independent engineers. Independents are also less likely to try and sell you additional stuff that you don't need, e.g. new TRVs on all radiators, or converting an open vented system to a sealed system (both not unheard of from British Gas).
    takman wrote: »
    If you can get the same kit installed by BG for only an acceptable premium ,go for it. Dont be afraid to beat down the salesman. If he/she is having none of it, leave it.

Why? Why pay more for British Gas to do the job? This makes absolutely no sense. If a competent Gas Safe engineer quotes you £1560 to fit the boiler and British Gas quote you £1660 (after lots of toing and froing over the price - why waste your time?) for a like for like installation, why pay the extra £100? It is buying you nothing! This is bad money saving advice.
    Using a manuf approved installer often buys you extra assurances and extended warranties,,check the T&Cs.

Manufacturer approved installers can deliver longer guarantees, that is true, so it can be worth looking at them, but there are plenty of independents who are manufacturer approved. As for "extra assurances" I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
    Buy cheap,buy twice..!

Buy at a higher price than you need to, repent at leisure.
  • bluedove
    bluedove Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    Been trying quotes and doing some research, i have booked an appointment with Hassle free boilers according to the information on their website, they have been featured on MSE though i haven't been able to see the article on MSE.

Anyone have experience with this company? opinions highly appreciated
    Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,709 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bluedove wrote: »
    Been trying quotes and doing some research, i have booked an appointment with Hassle free boilers according to the information on their website, they have been featured on MSE though i haven't been able to see the article on MSE.

Anyone have experience with this company? opinions highly appreciated

I see at least one thread that suggests their deal worked out really expensive

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4807089
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    It is very easy to rubbish BG and it is often done on here. I have no doubt BG have crap people working for them and also very good people working for them. The people who install are not responsible for the front end sale of the system or new boiler. Equally, there are plenty of completely useless independents and growing by the year in this modern era of poorer levels of training and certification.

Many people are prepared to pay the BG premium for the assurance of dealing with a large organization that is more answerable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure